• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

harder and harder to start 88 xj

Tre

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, its become noticable that lately its harder and harder to start my xj.

its turning over. but just doesn't seem like the starter is spinning as fast as it used to. i'm getting very slow revolutions when i engage the starter.

I have 1yr old redtop battery in there. but i suspect its not getting a propper charge when the vehicle is on.

has anyone had this happen? i just don't have the time to be removing the starter, alternator and battery to locate the problem. wondering if this is something common.

thanks

Well, the problem is common enough but there can be many causes.

First, make sure your battery cables are clean and in good condition. You may need to peel back the insulation a bit near the battery terminals to see underneath. If you see any corrosion, replace them.

Make sure the grounds are also clean and in good shape.

Have you tried jumping it with another battery?

Do your lights seem to be OK? Are they as bright as they were before you noticed this problem?

My '88 kind of suddenly developed this symptom. I'd turn the key to start and it would crank slowly, sometimes enough to catch, sometimes not. It got worse over a 2 week period. After checking cables, grounds and charging, I pulled the starter, took it Pep Boys and they tested it. It failed. I replaced it with a Bosch and problem solved.

thanks for the advice. I'm gonna dig into it this evening. starting with checking the cables over.

as well where should the voltage gauge read normally? mine usually reads at 14 or just past it.

but i know even though the guage may be reading 14v. doesn't mean the starter is able to draw enuff current to turn to motor.

My elec. system is good shape, but my starter was starting to drag, which was causing the same hard start problem that you are describing. I swapped out the starter and everything is much better! I also found out that the starter from a 1998 XJ WILL actually work correctly on an '88 model MJ. It is nice to know that somethings are still interchangeable, even on the new stuff.

Starters are interchangeable among all the AMC 242's, as I recall. Rod only lists one part number for the lot.

Check your mains leads for internal corrosion and shonky connections. Make sure the starter mounting pad is clean.

Also, clean the contact pad for both the main engine block ground (PAX side, near the distributor) and the engine-firewall ground (just to the driver's side of the centreline) and make sure they're clean and solid - especially the engine-firewall ground strap. That one's called the "RENIX Killer" for a reason... I'll typically take it down to bare metal (not much - about the size of a postage stamp,) and coat with Ox-Gard upon reassembly.

Check, and replace if dirty, the "open braid" of the strap as well.

I've had plenty of reports from the field that RENIX starts quicker after installing my mains cables - perhaps, if your mains are still OEM, they're just getting old? They're not quite sized properly to begin with, although ChryCo took them DOWN another notch in 1991, per FSM.

There's a link in my sig to my site, if you're interested...

5-90

thanks for the quick input guy's.

i'm gonna clean and check all the main connections as described and see what happens. i just took a walk out to the vehicle at work. and the positive to the battery looks like its got some crud built up in the connector. i'll clean that out and inspect the cable for corrosion.

i know the ground that comes off the wiring harness to the engine block on the pass. side is good. as i just replaced that section of harness when i did my peugot to aw4 swap. i replaced the shot connector with a nice gold plated stereo connector. i'll just double check and make sure its still sinched down tight.

is there a way to test the starter to see if it is indeed dragging?

Short of yanking off and taking down to the parts house, I am not sure, but you could probably do some kind of resistance check, if you had the " correct" readings to start with, one would think.

well i checked out the main grounds and power wire to the battery. the positive was in good shape. the negative however was totally corroded all the way up the cable. so i replaced it. tried starting it again and same thing. very slow crank.

but i'm leaning towards it being a starter issue now. cuz i noticed this morning. it cranked fine. i'm willing to bet once the starter heats up and sits after the motors been running on these hot day's we've been getting the starter is heat soaking.

i'll try a new starter next off a budy's rig. i'm almost positive this will fix it.

if your money is on a new starter. then you win!

hehehe. well for the hell of it today. i gave it a couple taps with the back of the hatchet I carry in my rig. Tried firing it up. It started slow. then all of a sudden kicked in and spun up nice and fast like normal.

gonna go and buy a new starter tonight now :D

thanks to everyone for the help!

Back