• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy front d44 ?

blaisetd

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve started prepping my waggy front d44 for a gear swap. It still had what I believe is the factory stuff inside. I noticed when removing the pinion bearing races that a baffle was missing (one that goes in before the pinion depth shims). So the question is, should I re-gear like it was originally set up or put the oil baffle in? thanks in advance blaise

I've never seen a front D44 that didn't have that stepped slinger underneath the inner bearing race.

But if the old gears were wearing good, somehow it must be setup for the right pinion depth.

Maybe there are extra shims under that race, or maybe they put shims between the inner bearing and the pinion teeth. Those slingers are usually .025" thick. If there's somewhere that you can eliminate .025" of shims, put that slinger in and then the pattern comes out good, I would keep it in there.

But I don't think it would make much difference if you left it out, after all, rear D44's don't have two of those slingers, that the fronts do have.

Back