• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where should i mount my High Lift jack on the exterior??

I wanted to know how a Hi-Lift would be on the hood. So I drilled some holes, and bolted one to the hood of the parts heep. It looked pretty cool. But the hood opening cable system wouldn't work right. It was too heavy for the system to 'pop' up.

make sure you grease it real good if you put it on the exterior... rust will get to the pins and climbing mechanism and it won't slide as easily over time either unless you keep it greased.

I put mine under the front pasenger seat. I tried all kind of places and finaly slide the passenger seat foward and lifted and removed the lower rear seat cuision. Then you can just slide it under the seat and use a wingnut thru the base to hold it to metal piece under the rear seat. Out of the way and all you have to do to pop it out is remove the rear seat cusion slide front seat foward and remove wingnut. In and out fairly quick and it's inside out of the mud and ice.

BADaXJ said:
make sure you grease it real good if you put it on the exterior... rust will get to the pins and climbing mechanism and it won't slide as easily over time either unless you keep it greased.

This is a very good point! Ask me how I know then refer to the 'Injuries inflicted by an XJ' thread.

4xrac its a genuine hilift accessory. i used to use it when i was stock.....oh man those were the days....works on front or rear

stockerflex.jpg

Picture001.jpg

-Tim

i've got mine on the side of my roof rack. If i knew then what i know now, i would have never built the roof rack or put the hilift up there. that thing gets hung up on trees all the time. and i never use the rack or the jack.

My Hi-Lift fits nicely across the back of the cargo area on the floor. Stays in place, out of the way, clean and dry.

I built pedestal mounts on the front bumper of my CJ for the Hi-Lift, it's a good way to go less the exposure to the elements. And yes, keep it well greased. Then you get to have grease all over your pants, hands, jacket, every time you use it.

Bonus! :dunce:

I dont know where you wheel or what you wheel in but on the east coast, we have to deal with lots of brush and deep water holes. I decided I didn't want mine no the bumpers because of the risk of bending it if I hit a tree or rock on the trail (which does happen occasionally during tight turns on switch backs). I mounted mine to the roof rack using u-bolts and strap plates I found at Tractor Supply. I think in total it cost $5 counting the lock washers, nuts, u-bolts, plates and 1' of clear tube to put around the u-bolts to keep them from wearing into my luggage rack. It works great and I've never found it to be a problem in brush or thick foliage around here. I have a 14mo old daughter and didn't like the thoughts of her and the hi-lift sharing the rear of my XJ on the highways and this is a DD/Camping Rig/light wheeler so I needed all the cargo area possible. I can get some pics up tonight if you want. :cool:

ps: I work for a friend clearing land and general farm labor on the weekends and have used my highlift several times there, I just spary it down with WD40, PB Blaster, chain saw bar lube, what ever we have on the truck when we are using it. no seizures yet!

Here is how I did mine and never really got in the way. I mounted it so the claw part of the jack was facing up so I didn't kill my ground clearance. I'll sell you the bumper mounts and all if you want

click to enlarge

i had a 60" mounted across my hood with 4Xrack brackets.. mount it directly over the hood hinges and it doesn't add much weight to the hood when you open it. and its low enough that once you are used to it being there it never interferes with your line-of-sight. i also put the same jack on the floor on the passenger side outboard of the seat in the small open space along the rocker panel from the rear seat to the front kick panel, but to do that you need to take the lift mechanism off and stow it under the seat.
and as far as mounting it on the face of the front or rear bumpers... why??? it decreases your approach and departure angles and gets beat to hell... that is, unless you dont venture off the newbie trails... its a regularly used peice of equipment and once they take a few hits or just stay in the weather a while they dont like to work smoothly.. how many times have you guys had to push a rig sideways off a hi-lift that wouldnt go back down on its own? if you MUST keep it outside clean it regularly..

I have never understood the logic of mouting a Hi-Lift jack to the exterior of your vehicle. Perhaps if you need to use it every few inches it would make sense, but then would evaluating your entire environment and what you are doing in it.

The problems I have seen:

1) It marks your vehicle. If folks didn't think there was something to steal before, you just supplied it. Hi-Lifts on Racks and Tire carriers are just an invitation.

2) The jacks usually become large, heavy bats after a few months in the elements, especially in the Midwest. The pins and levers freeze solid requiring you to fix your Hi-Lift before fixing or extracting your junk. You want to be frustrated? Air down a tire in a remote area with a good spare, a good wrench and a frozen Hi-Lift.

My recomendation is to avoid all that "Cool" looking stuff and to find a place inside. Mine resides in the cargo area. Nice and freshly oiled each time I have needed it.

Ron

jeepnuts311 said:
4xrac its a genuine hilift accessory. i used to use it when i was stock.....oh man those were the days....works on front or rear

stockerflex.jpg

Picture001.jpg

-Tim
I had mine mounted that way on the rear until it caught a rock and bent all to h3ll.

Somehow the thought of a highlift jack a couple feet from my face, with nothing but a pane of glass between us sorta scares me. Even a wreck at 30 mph could be potentialy be deadly, let alone one at highway speeds. Bet that thing can do some real damage at about 60 mph!!!

If you can spare the room and have a good way to secure it inside, that could be an option too. Better secure it real well. Now picture that jack bouncin around inside your jeep at 60 mph............with your kids.

Outside, up on the roof rack, tire swing or on the bumpers are the best, safest and most realistic places. I opted to go up high. I inspect it every time I change the oil and haven't had any issues. Knock on wood.

The 60inch that stays in my DD is mounted in the cargo area using some mounts that I bent up. They are modeled after the 4X Rac that is made for the HiLift. The material including bolts, steel, wingnuts, etc cost maybe $5. The 4XRAc costs like $25. The jack stays dry and clean and isnt going anywhere even if I were to roll it.

Back