• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swing Away-

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I cannot stand it any longer, I have to replace my heep of a spare tire carrier!
This is what I currentally have:
110506_1533a.jpg

1027071330.jpg
<--- see bungie cord

I deffentally did not make this swing away, it was on the jeep when I got it. Ive bent it, broke it, and even ripped it in two, and instead of making another one I keep fixing and even more gettofying the old one. Its to the point now were it is tired on w/ a ratchet strap. It has also cost me $500 in rear window glass.

Ive searched this site high and low (most stuff i found was 05 or older), also been through 1000s of photos on google.
I really like the NAXJA member Handelbars swing away and jerry can holder.
A long time ago I saw a tube swing away that was on an xj that carried 2 jerry cans, a high lift, and was a functional stinger. I cannot for the life of me find this picture again.

Heres what Im working with and my ideas:
I want it to be able to carry a 37" no problem
I want it to litterally be able to hold my xj up
Im planning to keep my over size piviot that is mounted in the middle of my bumper
I dont care what materials are used: sq tube, tube, plate
Id love to mount jerry cans and a high lift on it
I am very concerned with how far out it will stick out
The latch will probably be a tractor pin

I would love to see any new pics any of you have of swing aways!!!

Haha where to start? It flexes soo much it takes out the rear window (im on my 4th window now). When it still did latch it was so hard to do that I had to kick the latch shut. Then I slid sideways into a tree it bent it soo much it wouldnt latch, then I tried to bend it back, and it snapped in two, so the entire drivers side where it latches is welded back on. Its so bent now the latch doesnt even come close to latching. It used to hang the tire too low so it drug on everything, but ive since raised it up like 6in.
If anyone wants it you can come pick it up, and Ill just smile at you and wave goodbye.

I just need unseen ideas. Right now my eyes hurt from looking at the computer screen so much.

looks like its kissed the gate a few times!! from backing into things or it just breaking and coming loose?? where has it broken??

lol I'd seriously come get it if you really don't want it. I'm down in Fresno rather often... What size tire is on there now?

Why not go with the typical style of one? Just go to the different websites and design it based on one of those? I realize that you'll probably have to buy the swing hinge & latch, but other than that you should be fine.

I'd be interested in it as well.

Im keeping the bumper and the piviot so basically all im doing is cutting it off right where the sq tube starts. Its not good for anything execpt the scrap pile. It broke just under the cross brace, so its lost all structual support. It would only take 5 min to bend a new one just like that and weld it to some TSC barrings, if anyone is interested in a swing away my buddy does custom Jeep fab at a reasonable price (how hes getting him self through college).

Back