• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Amp altinator

Spanaway Mudder

NAXJA Forum User
I did a thread search and didnt find my answere so I thought I would just ask

I need a good Hi Amp altinator for my 90Xj.

Any tips on what brand to buy ?

I think I have a short but not sure..

My altinator isnt chargeing above 1000 rpms..or at all...

i believe the oem alt from a zj is rated at 140amps. oops, it may not fit the 1990. ask 5-90, he knows alot about alt. also, the alt from a 1990 is a gm style and there are alot of options out there.

Your 1990 uses a Delco CS-130 with an internal regulator. These are usually quite easy to find "high-powered" internals for, with only a little effort. Also, you can talk to a local shop that handles rewinds, and they can probably do the job for you for a nominal fee.

If you can't find anything locally, I talked the shop I use into doing mail-order a couple years ago, and people here have been happy with his results. I made a page for him on my site - link to my site in sig. You'll deal with Rod directly.

Note that, if you upgrade your alternator, you'll want to seriously consider upgrading your wiring as well. Another potential pitfall is that the OEM circuit has a fusible link in it - which is good for about 85-90A. If you go larger (no reason why you can't,) you're eventually going to need a bigger "fuse" as well. Pillage around on the rest of my site for information there...

N.B. You can upgrade your alternator without upgrading your wiring - and have it last a good long while. The alternator doesn't always generate full rated power - only when the regulator thinks the system needs it. However, the first time you swing to full output, you're probably going to blow your fuse...

Muad'Dib said:
You can find some on ebay also. I dont know if they can actually output as much current as they say, but its another option...

For example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-1990-JEEP-CHEROKEE-HIGH-AMP-ALTERNATOR-160-AMPS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ010QQitemZ200182445263QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

For a 87-90 Jeep with Delco CS alternator.
Auction says 160 amps... seems kinda high.

Not so. Mean Green does them up to 200, and most smaller shops should have no trouble getting 130-160A out of them (I've got a rated 180A that gives me 195A at full output, done as a "special" several years ago.)

The more common an alternator is, the easier it is to find upgrade parts for it. The Delco CS-130 is probably in the top five.

Back