• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube Chassis XJ Build up

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I have a plan and want to know if it is practical/possible. I want to build an all tubing chassis XJ. I'm not good enough at welding and bending to build the frame though. However I I think I can weld all the tabs, mounts, etc and such but would like to buy a frame already done. Anybody have any ideas as to practicality and/or possibility?

tgregg said:
I have a plan and want to know if it is practical/possible. I want to build an all tubing chassis XJ. I'm not good enough at welding and bending to build the frame though. However I I think I can weld all the tabs, mounts, etc and such but would like to buy a frame already done. Anybody have any ideas as to practicality and/or possibility?

Although the socal chapter has some decent fab guys, you might get a better answer in the tech forums.

In short, there are a ton of companies producing full tube chassis. None (that I know of) producing an XJ lookalike, it is totally possible though. Most people with "buggied" XJ utilize the simplicity of cutting the body out behind the firewall or front seat and "tubing" it out from there. I'm sure someone could do that for you but no one sells a prefabed one.
-KG

This thread is more likely to be successful in the Fab or advanced fab thread but honestly, an all tubed XJ is no longer an XJ :) Most guys how start to tube out their XJ keep the unibody pan and frame rails and cut everything else above off so they dont have to deal with motor mounts, tranny mounts, making a floor, etc.

KG beat me to it

OK, thanks guys, I'll move it. I have seen the cut up XJ's at our runs and that is an option. My dream machine is to buy a prefab chassis and then hang all my XJ stuff on it. So it would still be an XJ in all the parts. It maybe that my smartest move would be to do it in segments like so many of you are. I have a 69 CJ5 I trail right now and don't want to cut up a 40 year old classic. My '95 has 217K miles on it and I am currently driving it daily but ultimately it will be my trail rig. If I can't do the tube chassis I'll just start copying other NAXJA members. I am not a radical driver (at 63) but I love to build stuff. I really like the Formula Toyota but want to stay compatible with NAXJA and not drift over to the dark side!

I honestly dont know of a prefab chassis that will work with the XJ style. I guess its possible, but I am not aware of any. If you have the right amount of dollars, I think I may know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy ;)

Back