• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker + 242 = KA-BOOM?

krakhedd

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, long time, no post. Been broke for awhile - Jeep's a little worse for wear but finally have decent income, and will be able to spend on the rig.

Anyway....so I've had a 258 crank for around 2 years now. Getting ready to have a stroker built. I'm looking to get around 265HP/325lb-ft out of it. I forget the casting # but it's the one with 12 counterweights. My 231 transfer case needs rebuild/replacement, and I'm considering just installing a reworked 242. Jeep isn't lifted, won't be for some time as it's more a DD than a trail rig. Aisin-Warner auto tranny. Tranny seems OK. Just got back my rear driveshaft today, had both U-joints replaced & the whole thing balanced. Gonna do the front driveshaft after the threat of snow has subsided. Bolt-on engine mods ONLY, so far....

SO: How difficult is it to prep either model of t/c to handle that kind of torque? I have decent mechanical ability (just not a whole lot of time), so can head to the JY on weekends & yank parts or whatever from donor vehicles. Can invest some time rebuilding and/or upgrading the t/c on my own....tried searching around the forums but either I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to search (likely) or it's been a long, long while since this topic's been discussed.....

Thanks!

I don't think either t-case would have a problem handling the torque a stroker would produce. It's just going to mean more wear and tear on everything, but I wouldn't expect any catastrophic failures.

Again this is on speculation and educated guessing, I have no personal experience.

242 is a tough case it'll handle it.

A stock 242 or 231 should handle the torque produce by a 4.5-4.7 stroker. A friend and I built a 4.7 and his 16 year old AW4 and NP231 have no problems with it even when his lead foot gets in it. He also has 3.55 gears, 4" lift, and 33"s. So with no lift you should definitely be okay... The 242 issue was discussed the other day it is only slighlty weaker than the 231, the issue is that there are just more mods available for the 231.

That's about all I could get out of the threads is that there are more mods available, nothing about torque capacity or upgrades for the 242.

I think I'm all set, just have to find a decent 242 at a JY someplace....may as well grab the engine while I'm at it since I need a donor block, too....

Thanks guys!

PS - Anybody around here got a trailer & a vehicle to tow it with that I can borrow? :)

If you are worried about strenght use a 242 from a Durango or a Dakota. They are way stronger then a 231J or a 242J. You might need a clocking plate of the input shaft is longer? I'm looking for one of these transfer cases for myself right now.

OK, so Dakota or Durango 242 with Hummer 242HD planetaries. Will there be much modification required to mount the t/c under the rig (apart from possibly needing a clocking plate)?

The 242's torque ratings 242J = 1486 lb/ft, 242 hd = 2028 lb./ft and the H1 Hummer is 242=2340 lb/ft

Just a Durango case should be all you need, but the 1998 and newer Hummer 242HD planetaries would make it even stronger. I think the output shaft is larger on the Dodge and Hummer 242's, but I need to verify this.

I have a pdf that shows you all that is involved in upgrading the 242 to the Hummer internals from a fellow member.

Gojeep said:
I have a pdf that shows you all that is involved in upgrading the 242 to the Hummer internals from a fellow member.

Well hook me up. I'm definately interested in having a beefed 242. I might even put a doubler in then.

You have a pm.

How's it going Paul? You still haven't built that stroker yet? :) You were talking about it when we did that snow run in Big Bear three (?) years ago.

Get on it, will ya?

:laugh3:

Gojeep said:
Let me know how you get on with what I sent you.

Thanks, I will be putting that info to use in my transfercase build.

really interested in the tcase idea, looking to put down 400ft-lbs from my stroker, and i want to run a 242 so i can use 4wd on the street. yah know, its just a lot of power for 2wd in winter weather.

Just an FYI a stroker is a nice power increase but its not like dropping a Viper motor in or anything. Your driveline parts will be just fine lol.

Not the way I drive - broke my steering box loose from the frame last night. At least I know what the clunking when I turn has been for the past year or more....though I think it started shortly after my last wheeling exercise, which as I recall, was pretty fierce!

Anybody know anybody around Buffalo, NY who can help me put together a stroker for some pizza and beers? Local race shop says I'll be $4k in, including an aftermarket replacement Accel computer.....could use some help with the 242, too, I have decent mechanical ability but have torn down (and didn't reassemble) only 1 engine in my life, and have never been closer to gears than an Erector set....

Back