• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How the hell do I remove the coil? Am I missing something?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I was just looking to swap my coil to keep myself from getting stranded somewhere. My coil has never been changed and recently it has been taking a second or two longer to start running when starting her.

Figured I might as well swap the coil now.

Anyway, I tried pulling the old coil and I see the two 10mm bolts holding it on but when I get a wrench in that tight space and spin, the nut in back is spinning as well.

Do I need to remove the bracket that the coil is moutned to that bolts to the block via two 1/2" bolts?

Thanks guys!

Yes, you can remove the bracket. There are some bolts further down.

However when I replaced my coil about two years ago I did it without removing the bracket. Used a very tiny wrench on the backside as well as some swearing. Got it.

Taking it off the bracket, while leaving bracket on block adds at least 30 minutes to a 10 min job:D

x2...i struggled with mine for a long time before i got pissed and realised how much time I would have saved by removing the entire bracket first.

But, why do you think it's your coil???

Hallo I did swapped mine ignitioncoil last week after 16 years duty.
It was a piece of cake. Take care of the groundwire to be clean.
It was a big difference in performance! Starting ok now and driving powerful!
greetings:wave1: :wave1:

Back