• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 Trac-Loc

Del00XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Meh, running some ideas through mt head after browsing a Randy's catalouge. I have the 29 spline 8.25 in the behind of my 99' XJ. Browsing I noticed that the "Trac-Loc" Limited Slip in the Dakota R/T's will fit the XJ. A new TracLoc from Randy's is only about $250 shipped to my door. Shove a couple more clutch's in there like my 8.8 and see what I got. Any one ever try this alternative or thought of it?

I put a new trac-loc in my 8.25 a year or so ago, Its worked good for a stock LS. I tried researching how to add some clutches but didnt find much. If you do this, let me know how it works out and what ya did.

See I've never seen the Mopar Trac-Loc. I figured it's just like my 8.8 in the Ranger. I bought a Ford Racing Clutch Pac and shoved two more discs in. Now, the rear of my Ranger will drag the inside tire. Very very tight for a couple extra bucks. Since a Detroit is some od' $510, I figured this could be a somewhat close replacement for a DD.

That sounds like an interesting option. I want some sort of traction control device in my 96 with 29-spline 8.25, but since it's primarily a DD I don't really want an auto locker, and there's no way I could justify an ARB right now. If this would work, that sounds like a great option. Where did you find the info that a Dakota LSD carrier would fit an XJ?

if you can figure out how to squeeze in more clutch packs, go for it. I had a helluva time just getting the worn plates and spider gears back in. Some dakotas came with the 8.25 29 spline so it should work fine.

Del00XJ said:
Meh, running some ideas through mt head after browsing a Randy's catalouge. I have the 29 spline 8.25 in the behind of my 99' XJ. Browsing I noticed that the "Trac-Loc" Limited Slip in the Dakota R/T's will fit the XJ. A new TracLoc from Randy's is only about $250 shipped to my door. Shove a couple more clutch's in there like my 8.8 and see what I got. Any one ever try this alternative or thought of it?

That's a hell of an idea! I'm quite curious as to how well that would work. If you do it, please post some pics and thoughts. Especially if you pack the extras in. I have the 8.25 as well and my open diff is killing me. Perhaps this would be a great addition!

Daedalus454 said:
That sounds like an interesting option. I want some sort of traction control device in my 96 with 29-spline 8.25, but since it's primarily a DD I don't really want an auto locker, and there's no way I could justify an ARB right now. If this would work, that sounds like a great option. Where did you find the info that a Dakota LSD carrier would fit an XJ?

I'm pretty sure that the Dakota (as well as the Liberty) use the same ChrysCo 8.25 diff carrier and housing as the XJ. As such, the LSD carrier would be the same across all 3 models. If you want further confirmation I'm sure google-ing "Chrysler AND 8.25 AND rear AND axle" would return some sites that give pretty comprehensive breakdowns of ChysoCo 8.25 applications.

I looked on Randy's after imploding my spider gears saturday night. The entire unit, with the pack will run with my wholesale price of some odd $220 with shipping....

I dont really want lockers in my XJ, so I'm looking at getting a pair of detroit true-trac limited spiral-gear LSD's. Yeah, they are $400 each, but I've watched a guy in my local club in a FS bronco and am really impressed with them. they work so well, I've only seen it stop pulling with all four wheels one time and it was because he was off camber in a trench with the DS wheels riding the bank. It stoped for a second, but when he touched the brakes for a second, it started pulling again and walked right out. He says he can't even tell he changed the diff's out with them, and it drives excelently on the highway. Now, I'm building mine more for camping and light trails with plans for a locked/spooled FS J-truck in the future, but after watching Brett in the big Bronc, I dont know if I want a locker in the J-truck either....

The Red Baron said:
They loosen up after 20,000 miles. If you have one with fresh plates, applying the e-brake slightly locks them up nicely.

I had a brand new Mopar Performance one that wouldn't lock-up when I got stuck 3 times in one day. The e-brake trick didn't help at all.... It had less than 100 miles on it. It was tight enough that it would squeal the tires on tight turns on dry pavement for the 10,000 miles I had it in for. In those 10.00 miles it didn't work once when I really needed it.... If I fishtailed the rearend out on pavement it would open up sometimes and whip my XJ around the other way. It caused very unpredictable handling when pushed hard.

I welded a open carrier up and that solved all my problems. I ran the welded carrier for 2 years and never had any problems I did what I wanted when I wanted it to but never caused any unpredictable handling.

I put the Trac-Lock in a Dakota, it worked great for street use for my stepdad. It had 30,000 miles on it and it was still as tight as new.

I would buy a high performance Alburn limited slip or a True Trac if you don't want a locker. That is what old Mopars used. They were called Sure Grips. Don't buy one from Mopar Performance thou because they superceded it to a trash loc.

I will be running a spool in the 9" I'm swapping into my MJ. But I don't recommend a spool for others to use. I have many years of experence with welded or spooled rear axles and I like the way they handle. Thats only my opinion. Call me crazy I guess.

do thay make a alburn or true trac for a 29 spline 8.25"? you could get a new carrier and throw a powertrax in there. other then that i think a detriot full case is the only other thing they make for a 29 spline 8.25... i could be wrong though i wouldnt put it past me

PN#542074 High Performance Series Limited-Slip Differentials

All Chrysler products with 8 1/4 & 8 3/8 ring gear (Accepts tone ring for ABS applications) 2.71/up 29 Teeth 1997 - Present

And

Detroit TrueTrac - Chrysler 8.25 - '97-'00 Jeep XJ (DET912A553)

I've got the TruTrac in the rear and a Aussie up front right now. The TT works good with some foot action on the brakes. It will do the "one wheel peel" if you dont put some tension on the free side. I'm in the process of building another 8.25 and since my rig is for trail use only its getiing a lincoln locker. It would be nice if I could spool it and do it right.

I always preach "do not weld diffs" but this is short term, something bigger is on the wish list.

Back