• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long start/ stalling problem

Bucketheadben

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.
My 90 XJ 4.0 Auto has had a long starting problem since I've owned(couple of months.) I think it has something to do with the pump or pressure regulator, but I'm uncertain because priming it doesn't help the long start. It will take about 5 secs until the engine spins over. The start time will be cut to about 3 secs if it was running recently and I try to start it up.

Today for the first time it stalled out on me in traffic. Once at a red light and twice decelerating around MPH. It would run rough right before dieing and it would start up like normal afterwords. Once i got it in the driveway i started it up and would idle fine, then i restarted it and it died immediately twice and on the third try it was fine and took it around the neighborhood with no problems.
So do you guys think this is a fuel issue or could it be a sensor(TPS,CPS,IAC?)
I'm going to clean the TB and IAC while I wait for some input. Thanks in advance for any help.
Ben

sounds like a fuel flow problem to me....i would start with checking/changing your fuel filter first, and then try the little filter in the tank for the pump itself if the 1st isnt the culprit.

jmeti000 said:
sounds like a fuel flow problem to me....i would start with checking/changing your fuel filter first, and then try the little filter in the tank for the pump itself if the 1st isnt the culprit.

Thanks for the quick reply jmeti000.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that i changed the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor button when I bought the XJ.

I just finished pulling and cleaning the IAC and using Sea foam but it doesn't seem like it did anything noticable. I actually left it running while i was washing my hands and when i walked outside it was not running any more. So i pulled the cap on the fuel rail and pressed in the shcrader valve and got what i thought was very little fuel. I'd say no more than a couple tablespoons of gas. So i'm realy leaning towards the fuel pump. Does anyone else agree.
Ben

dizzymac said:
Renix....take longer to start. Could have all the other things mentioned too, but Renix take about three seconds to start.

if stock, yes, but if you upgrade the battery cables, ground, wire to starter, and battery; the renix can start much faster. if you can get the starter to spin faster the renix will start faster.

I think i found the problem. It was not the pump because i wired it directly off of the the battery and it pumped. So i disconnected the outlet hose on the pump so i could see if it would pump when i turned the key. Nothing in the 'on' position, but when i started it i got fuel. So after checking the ceramic resistor again i found the female connectors were in rough shape and i did not had a good connection when i tried to jump the wires together the first time. So i cleaned them up real good and shorted the wires directly together and i got fuel to pump in the 'on' position. So I hooked the hose back up, started it up and drove it around for about 15mins and no problems. I'm pretty confident this will solve my long starting problem since it wasn't priming in the 'on' position.
I think I've read before that some people have just left the resistor bypassed and have not have problems, or am i remembering incorrectly? Does it do anything other than quiet down the pump.
Thanks for all of the help.

Back