• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help, hack and tap issues

truffle

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to install a RE hack and tap and broke off the tap. Everything was going smoothly until the tap broke off half way in the splined shaft:dunce: . I could have started crying, but my buddy assured me that someone else has probably done this. After doing a search I have discovered thatI am not the first numbskull to do this. I am going to try some different methods that were suggested, but if that doesn't work I guess I need to pull the shaft out and start over. If anyone else out there has some experience dealing with this issue, any suggestions would be appreciated. I also might need a new (used) splined shaft, so if anyone has their old one just lying around collecting dust then maybe help a brother out. 97XJ Sport w/3" OME lift kit NP231 transfer case. Thanks alot.

I'm not too familar with using taps.

However were you using the correct tapping compound/lubricant?

I've heard you're supposed to screw it in until you meet reisistance, then back it out, then go in further, back it out......repeat. Don't force the tap.

Good luck on attempt 2.

Use needle nose pliers to get the the old tap out. Put a jaw into each flute and back it out. It should come out fairly easy.

I break taps like it is my job!

Ive got a tailshaft if you need it!

Thanks for the ideas. I did use some lubricant, but I think I just got a little ahead of myself with the tapping. I have tapped some before, but usually they were smaller in size. I will pm you about the tailshaft, thanks.:peace:

Blaine B. said:
I've heard you're supposed to screw it in until you meet reisistance, then back it out, then go in further, back it out......repeat. Don't force the tap.

Close but not spot on. I'm old school, I was taught turn 1/4, back off 1/8 when starting. Of course I'm inpatient and turn 1/2 and back off 1/4, same ratio of cut:clear. Backing off clears the filings and prevents build up of tap grabbing material.

Don't force the tap
This is important!

Use needle nose pliers to get the the old tap out. Put a jaw into each flute and back it out. It should come out fairly easy
I use the curved needle nose, the 60-90* offset in my non-nuclear mind thinks more torque.

Good luck,
Tom

Back