• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone use Cascade TG-1 then Herculiner?

ConnorMann

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I am just finishing the floorboards and doing a search found Cascade TG-1 heat and soundproofing. Has anyone used this then herculined over it?

Does TG-1 absorb water?

Is it durable like a bedliner?

Would herculiner protect the TG-1?

If so it is the perfect solution to the XJ water problem...

Connor

Wouldn't recommend it as a waterproofing material, as it's latex and the bond to painted metal is not very good. Didn't use TG-1 but Secondskin Firewall, which is very similar.

Also, you would need about 10 gallons for it to be effective - don't know if you have budgeted for that or not.

I'd go with a foil/butyl product like Secondskin Damplifier (or Raamaudio Raamat). Cascade's product (vblok?) is fine too, no doubt, but probably a little pricier than the other 2. IIRC, I was able to cover the entire floor and ceiling single layer with 80 sq. ft. Get 120 and you'll have enough for the doors and extra to double up on any trouble spots. Should be able to cover that with herc no problem.

Secondskin Damplifier sounds good as sound barrier and will not burn until 450 degrees But:

Does it reduce the heat in the vehicle?

Does it trap water?

Will it tear with use like tin foil?

Will herculiner protect it?

If I am only doing the floorboards and tranny tunnel I can use the $51 dollar 20 sq ft Secondskin Damplifier and the $90ish gallon of herc. total 160ish.

If I could only find

1.product that stops the heat and sound like the OEM liner but does not trap water

2. A coating that looks good and takes abuse to coat the 1st product

3. Oh and it does not cost over 200 for both products combined

I would be real real happy! In a perfect world it could happen.

In a perfect world France would be the 1st USA colony

Connor

The butyl/foil mats (Damplifier) will not reduce the temperature.

They should not trap water if applied properly, but if you expect to soak your cabin, I would not risk it unless the butyl/foil had been covered with herculiner first.

With a $200 budget, there's not a lot you can do for heat or noise in the traditional channels. TG-1/Firewall would be the only solution if you are going to run herc with no carpet, and even with the just the area you describe, I'd want to put 3 gallons down.

On a budget, you'd be best to put down some Damplifier, cover it all with herc, and then throw the carpet back in - preferably with some extra padding underneath.

If you felt inclined, you could check out this stuff
http://www.hytechsales.com/insulating_paint_additives.html
and blend your own. No idea as to the effectiveness. I would presume that it could also be added to the herculiner. Quality paint is not inexpensive, and it may take some research on your part to find a suitable product, but you could probably accomplish your goal on budget.

So does this mean that you could put Herculiner over Secondskin Firewall effectively?

BigG said:
So does this mean that you could put Herculiner over Secondskin Firewall effectively?
Since Herc seems to stick to everything, I would think it would stick to the Firewall with no problem, although the converse might not be true. Because the Herc is bonded to the Firewall, however, the durability of the surface is dependant on the adhesivity of the Firewall to painted steel.

It may be that I am overreacting about the bond strength, and that in normal use it will not present a problem, even if the vehicle is submerged (which, might I add, is *not* considered normal use for a vehicle ;) )

If you want to make your own conclusion, you might go find a pint of NON-primer latex paint. Layer it up 1-2 mm thick in some out of the way area and let it cure for a week. Then go back and try to peel it up. You may also consider laying some masking tape down first to simulate masking, or cutting it with a razor, to simulate trimming around drain and boltholes.

I'm not trying to knock Firewall, it's a decent product - but it's not *perfect*, so I don't want to advocate it to a community of people who do their best to sink their vehicles.

Post back your results - I'd be interested in your conclusions.

lilredwagn said:
Since Herc seems to stick to everything, I would think it would stick to the Firewall with no problem, although the converse might not be true. Because the Herc is bonded to the Firewall, however, the durability of the surface is dependant on the adhesivity of the Firewall to painted steel.

It may be that I am overreacting about the bond strength, and that in normal use it will not present a problem, even if the vehicle is submerged (which, might I add, is *not* considered normal use for a vehicle ;) )

If you want to make your own conclusion, you might go find a pint of NON-primer latex paint. Layer it up 1-2 mm thick in some out of the way area and let it cure for a week. Then go back and try to peel it up. You may also consider laying some masking tape down first to simulate masking, or cutting it with a razor, to simulate trimming around drain and boltholes.

I'm not trying to knock Firewall, it's a decent product - but it's not *perfect*, so I don't want to advocate it to a community of people who do their best to sink their vehicles.

Post back your results - I'd be interested in your conclusions.

I'm not wanting my jeep to swim all the time, I just want to get the musty, 10 year old carpet out. I've heard on the boards that just pulling the carpet and herculining it can have issues with heat and sound since the carpet acts as an insulator against both.

If sound is an issue for you, you will be wanting to put the carpet back in no matter what you put under the herculiner. With the interior gutted on the highway @ 70 mph, I rolled down my window and it didn't get louder - it just changed the direction of the noise. A single layer of Damplifier made a noticeable difference, but not as much as the carpet made.

I thought my carpet was trash, but per recommendations here, I scrubbed it with oxyclean and purple power (same stuff as castrol superclean which was the recommended product) and pressure washed it, then dried it in the sun. It's got a couple faded stains still, but it's a world of difference. You can tear off (well most of it) the old jute and buy fresh relatively cheaply.

Back