• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tired 2.8 V6

jcwxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 86 xj with the 2.8 V6 and I think it is on its way out. Besides putting another 2.8 in what other 6 cylinder motoors will fit? And why wont a 4.0 fit?This is my second xj Ive owned (the other was a 93) Iam going to use it for a back up truck/occasional driver so I dont want to go to radical! I really need some detailed answers. Please help!!!
jcwxj

jcwxj.....

Search brutha........ search!

There are tons of threads on the subject of swapping in 3.4L and 4.3L engines.

The 4.0 is gonna be the biggest challenge to swap into a pre '87 XJ and not worth the headache. The front part of the engine compartment - the radiator support area is much different on the early XJ's. The radiators are different for the 2.8 to the 4.0, the 4.0 mounts farther forward and closer to the grille. The hood latch systems are also different for this reason as the earlier XJ's had a center latch and pin ahead of the radiator, and the '87 and newer had two latches, one at each front corner, because the radiator is now where the center pin/latch would be on earlier XJ's - to accomodate the longer inline 6 engine. Ya dig?

Be sure to get educated on your area's emissions laws regarding engine swaps to make sure you don't piss your swap investment away, but the easiest swap and likely the cheapest is to get the 3.4L from a mid '90's Camaro or Firebird - pretty much a bolt-in.

Last edited:
If running a little better is all you want then change the oil and add a can of Restore with the oil. Years ago my 84 XJ engine had lost a lot of power and the compression readings where from 116 to 132. I tried a can of Restore and by the next oil change the readings went up to 140 across all the cylinders. The other problem I had with the 2.8 was an air leak around the carb throttle shaft.

4.3 is a good idea..but he will need to change the tranny and t/case too...a lot of work and expense....the 3.4 swap is by far the easiest and least expensive...if you find a good used engine.

Back