• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crash Bang Grind... Yuck

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
Headin down to Uwharrie today to do some wheelin, left the house... la-te-da, singin bluegrass..

then BANG GRIIIIIIIND.... Sucker went into 4 wheel Hi part time (242 case btw) and just started grinding... grinding.. but I couldn't get any power to the wheels. Its like it shifted into neutral, dropped tranny to third gear

... started goin again... BANG GRIIIIIIIND... I looked for an exit to turn off on and I got off... Then It started it again except this time It wouldnt go back in gear, just grinding. Acted like it was in neutral, wouldnt even stay put in Park

We ended up pullin it behind a buddy's truck 15 miles to his house, grinding the whole way... I got out... started playing with the TC linkage and I got it goin again, still grinding in any part time 4WD setting though..

BANG GRIIIIIND Again... played with linkage some more and nursed it home... Now the damn thing doesnt like to stay in 2wd at all in the TC... I'm thinking its stripped inside...

Sound like a rebuild is needed?

Aight, Good thing I grabbed another 242 a few weeks ago... yay for parts. I'm gonna crack that biotch open tommorow

sweet!!,I think the only special tool is a GOOD set of snap ring pliers,pretty straightforward job. any qustions pm me, I've had them apart more than a few times. I now have two boxes of spare 242 parts, very good time to pickups some new output bearins and seals!

That it is... I'll pick up a pair sometime tonight or tommorow

oh, don't mix up the t/case bolts (different lengths) I pushed them in order into styrofoam . and there is a 12 point bolt up at the top so make sure you have 12pt sockets, get black rtv or anarobic gasket maker to seal it back up

Back