• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 and auto transmissions

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Never had an auto transmission before and am curious, I put the jeep in full time and went up a pretty unimproved trail covered with ice and snow. Took it out of 4wd and noticed a few miles down the road when I made a turn that the front was still engaged even though the light was out. OK, is there a trick to taking an auto out of 4wd ? gotta backup or something, put it in neutral, etc ?????

I usualy have to back up with mine but sometimes when I'm pointing downhill it does aight.

I've never had any issues just taking it out of 4 wheel and driving it.

In and out of 4lo should be the only issue. You have to have the tranny in neutral.

on my 89 auto 242, to disengage either reverse and forward again or hard accelerate,let off, and accelerate again. you can here a little clunk and you're in 2wd

Gerr said:
usually from fulltime to 2wd it takes putting it in nutral and letting it roll a few feet but from part time it takes just shifting

Same for me. (Putting the Tranny into neutral for me that is.)

If there's pressure on the front axles, the collar won't move. Just let off or shift to neutral and it should slip over to dis-engage the shafts.

I've had pretty good luck shifting out of 4X as I'm coming to a stop. But occasionally have to use reverse, neutral, shifting in and out of gear, most anything I can think of, to try and take the strain off of the drive train.
Most of my problems seem to occur after fairly long periods of not using the transfer much. I think regular exercise helps.

8Mud said:
I've had pretty good luck shifting out of 4X as I'm coming to a stop. But occasionally have to use reverse, neutral, shifting in and out of gear, most anything I can think of, to try and take the strain off of the drive train.
Most of my problems seem to occur after fairly long periods of not using the transfer much. I think regular exercise helps.
I added some lucas oil additive to my 93's t-case when it did that many years ago and the issue went away, trans fluid is a crappy lubricant

Gerr said:
I added some lucas oil additive to my 93's t-case when it did that many years ago and the issue went away, trans fluid is a crappy lubricant

You do know that there are clutch plates in the 242 for the full time I hope you did not just put Lucas in a 242. They use the tranny fluid as a friction modifier also. Good luck

Yucca-Man said:
Make sure your tires are all the same size (including brand, etc) and inflated similarly.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

X2, only had to do that once and never let that happen after that.

mecompco said:
Just "blip" the throttle once or twice and it will shift to/from 2WD, PT, FT.

Yup, same here. Usually the only time I take mine out of full time is if I have to make tight u-turns (within 3-4 lanes.)

Judging by the weather reports for this area this week I'll get to play with and see what happens. This was the first time I noticed it, wondering if it had something do with coming down a locked my seatbelt grade with the auto tranny in 1st, stopping, putting it in 2wd then moving the selector to D and going.
All I got to say is I've been on better abandoned access roads then my sons driveway, thing deserves at least a high green rating, all 1 mile of it...:laugh2:

Jeepm@n said:
You do know that there are clutch plates in the 242 for the full time I hope you did not just put Lucas in a 242. They use the tranny fluid as a friction modifier also. Good luck

Clutch plates? I don't think so.
There is a differential that works like a regular differential in the axle, only this one is flat it allows the two driveshafts to turn independently.
I found the best way for mine to get in and out of 4x4 is to do it with the XJ barely moving. I just pull the lever to FT or 2WD as it starts moving.
A couple of sharp turns to verify that it is not stuck in PT, a click coming from the TC usually means it is where it is supposed to be.
The good thing about FT is that you can set it and forget it. No need to change all the time.

mecompco said:
Just "blip" the throttle once or twice and it will shift to/from 2WD, PT, FT.

This is how I get both the 242 and the 231 to engage and disengage. Works every time.

For the 242 can you add some LSD fluid with the DII or the Lucas AutoTranny additive with the DII? I find I have difficulties getting in and out of every option except 4 lo. And everything is fine and still hooked up.

As for how I get out Ill blip the gas, toss it in and out of nuteral, curse and swear, spin thee steering wheel a few times and put it back in drive. Usually in the order.

Back