• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch linkage problems - HELP!

JeffDeWitt

NAXJA Forum User
One day last week I was driving along, went to put the clutch in and it was HARD, like a dead pedal, no give at all. I kept stabbing at it and it finally got past whatever was holding it and felt normal. Didn't last though, this happened two or three more times and then the plastic clip that holds the clutch master cylinder shaft to the pedal broke.

So I got it towed home (second time in 350,000 miles!).

This is my 96 Cherokee, 4.0, 5 speed.

I replaced the clutch master cylinder, there wasn't anything apparent that might have caused the jam, and it seemed to work OK by hand.

Now I've got a new (better) master cylinder in but the clutch still won't release. The pedal works (no sign of the jam), but feels a little funny.

I pulled the slave cylinder and it seems OK from what I can tell (no leaks, and the rod moves when the clutch pedal is pressed. I also tried bleeding it with the set screw but that didn't seem to make any difference.

This is my daily driver and I need to fix it like yesterday, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeff DeWitt

Back