• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need your advice regarding purchase of 97

McQue

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking about buying a 1997 Grand Cherokee 4.0L automatic 2WD for my wife to use as a daily driver....she does not need 4WD.
Vehicle I am going to look at today, has 114000 miles...needs a power steering pump, and maybe CPS or PCM...owner was told this by her mechanic and also a dealership.
The Jeep has been shutting down on her intermittently for a couple of months. Dealer has not been able to reproduce the problem. Her mechanic friend and the Dealership are both leaning towards the PCM versus the CPS. Also has small dent in the hood...no big deal...
Anything in particular I should look for in this year model?
Seller wants $1200...but will probably take $1000

McQue

Shutting down intermittently sounds like CPS to me....but it should throw a code...

For $1000, I'd say go for it. Just do the basics, check the fluids, see if the tranny fluid is brown/black/smells burnt...check for leaks, check for rust in the floorboards b/c of your location...

Kejtar said:
Not necessarily...

which part...the shutting down at random = CPS

or

The throwing of a code?

(thats why I said "should" - when my CPS went bad it shut down at random AND threw a code) :)

JNickel101 said:
which part...the shutting down at random = CPS

or

The throwing of a code?

(thats why I said "should" - when my CPS went bad it shut down at random AND threw a code) :)
oops.. I'm not awake. I meant the throwing of the code. I had a bad CPS and it would not throw a single code. I replaced it finally and all my problems went away :D

Back