• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budge boost q's

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting together a budget boost for my 88 four door.
so far I have some upcountry springs from a 97 and 4 piece set of leaves from a late nineties s10-15 I think they may be from a s15 blazer (15,000 mile)
I am looking for about 2 inches all around.

I plan on cutting the eyes on the main leaves from the s 10 leaves.
depending on how much lift I get from the front springs I may need even thing out.

how many leaf wraps will I need, and where should I place them?

My shocks are on the way out. I want to replace them cheap (OME would be great but I just dont have the money). I see alot of shocks from people with 3-5 inch lifts for sale, would it be detrimental to use such a length shock on my lift?

thanks for the imput

S-10 leaves will probably give you more than 2"....the upcountry springs will give you 1" as it is....I'd use the main leaf from the s-10...thats it. you might have to do some experimenting...

What springs are you gonna use up front? (EDIT: is that what you mean when you say you have upcountry springs - you have upcountry COILS?)

What's your budget for shocks? using slightly longer shocks would be okay, as long as you bump-stop properly

sorry, yes.. up-country coils on the front and planning on the main only from the s 10 pack. Shocks?... In the long run... who am I kidding... there is no long run. Shocks, if I could get out for about 2 bills I would be happy.

Doetsch Tech DT-3000 shocks can be had for about $150 a set, the DT9000 are a little more...you could do worse (Skyjacker comes to mind...I hated those, but I run OME long travel now) - but they look an awful lot like a lot of other common shocks out there...I read once that a lot of shocks out there are all made by the same company, but just re-badged....

Rubicon Express twin tubes for about $200 a set...not as nice as their mono-tubes, but a great, reliable name....going to be a good product.

Rancho RS5000s for about $200 a set....

Are you gonna throw a poly spacer up front to help level you out? I'm guessing you're gonna get about 3" out of the rear...

By the time you are done adjusting bumpstops to prevent overcompression of the new shocks, you won't have much compressive flex, if that's important to you. I'd rather have shocks that are too short than too long, personally. I just put a two inch lift on and am just running with stock shocks until spring when I can again work on my rig in my garage without my butt freezing to the floor.

Back