• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

*new starting problems*

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
ok. im back again with the same question. my 90 xj wont start. first time it was the nss switch, ive already bypassed it, second time it was a bad battery, i installed a new one, third time it was the starter, so last week i installed a new one. ran for a week, and bam!
now, it turns over, but wont start.
maybe no spark?...any sensors i should be aware of?...maybe a fuel problem?

I second both of those.

A faulty crank position sensor will give a no spark condition, but the vehicle will crank over just fine. Your CPS is at the top left (driver's) side of your bellhousing. Two bolts hold it in, and the wires run up to a harness that runs over the top of your engine. Unplug it, and plug it in again. Usually the vehicle will fire up and run for a short while when the sensor first starts getting bad. If you replace it, make sure the wires are kept well away from the exhaust manifold.

A faulty ground can slowly drain your battery because the charging system encounters too high a resistance on the ground side, and never makes the voltage necessary to replete the battery. I did a voltage test on an alternator once, and it was not performing as it should, making only11.5 volts. Changed the ground cable and it jumped to14 volts. Usually the one from the cylinder head to the firewall is the culprit, and it's about a $5 fix. This could have caused your battery problem, but not your current no start condition... I'd just try a CPS. If it's never been changed, it's timetoo because sooner or later it will leave you stranded.

Geoff

Do you have any pressure on the fuel rail?

Can you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on?

Have the CPS wires been burnt on the exhaust manifold?

i dont know ab out any pressure in the fuelrail. and as for the wires, i havent been able to check them because i finally sent it to a shop. ive been working on it fixing things here and there and finnaly its been keeping me from attending college, so i pretty much just towed it to a shop, but i want to know what i should expect to "have been fixed'

i dont want them to screw me over.

When it rains, she POURS!!!

Salinas eh.... thanks for all the lettuce this fall

There's a schrader valve on the fuel rail, put some glasses on, and depress it.

Are you getting spark? Pull a plug and ground it, have someone turn the motor over? Then we can go from there.

Back