• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 HO head/200o block

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
OK, me again ... finally got all the parts in. Going to use a '93 HO head, welded up '93 exhaust manifold (for now) and the 2000 intake. The '93 gasket matches up fine and the 2000's larger intake ports are actually matched well to the '93 heads (seems only the head port size is drasticly different).
Question now is the heads themselves ... specificly the rockers/valves.
Can any of the newer parts be swapped over? As in can i swap the valves, springs, rockers on to the '93 head without issue or are there too many differences>?
and I'm still debating whether to use the '93's cast aluminum VC or keep the '00's stock steel stamped unit (I'm seriously at odds with the '00's racheting oil cap design ... especially when mine has the tendency to bake in place, requiring prying apart to use screwdriver to get it off!!!!!).
total so far (parts, gaskets ... ) - $216 (includes the 12pt sockets I didn't have to pull the head) ... and the only head I could find at the yards (Vacouver Island) was $275 no haggling allowed. Glad I found a busted up '93 down the road. Wonder what all the labour would've cost me?
Thanks
Dave

anyone? I'd prefer to use the newer parts on the head if possible ... are the rockers and such the same between the '93 and the '00?

well, after carefull going over I went with the '00 rockers and bridges, kept the '93 valves in place (the actually look a little bigger on the exhaust side, intakes seem the same). Got the head on today, it's slow going while trying to entertain a 5yr old as well. Had to drill out one of the studs and re-tap to 7/16" (front stud broke - I was prepared for that one). Cut the stud portion off the rear bolt (#14) so I could get a torque wrench on it. Setting the head in was pretty easy, with the use of an engine hoist and four studs for alignment ... lower, settle, lower, settle, bolt.
heading off to work for 8 days so the intake and exhaust will have to wait until I'm back. Going to use the '93 valve cover (I'll take it out to work for cleaning and paint) ... I'm partial to it's oil cap and the CCV nipples being readily removable (and of the same orfice sizes - checked that as well). Only thing that might nick me is I'm going to use the '00 VC gasket, don't know if they be compatible but since I already had it from a previous purchase I figure to give it a go (the '00 VC was leaking slightly so i picked it up in case it got worse - waiting for better weather). Anyone know for sure if I should get a '93 style gasket instead?
The exhaust is going to be the real trouble, the '93 manifold is cracked ... in six places. I figure to have it welded (a header is $300, more than I have at this time) and replumb to the cat. I'm going to add a hanger or two and use a flexible section (SS braided) between the exhaust flange and the down pipe ... this should alleviate future cracking (just looking at the stock layout pretty much explains the craking issue - the majority of the exhaust system hangs directly weighted off the manifold - not enough support).
till next time.

You can get a non-ratcheting Stant cap for your 00 valve cover from Rockauto.com. The alu valve covers are ok, but I broke one (cracked the metal badly) at a junkyard once prying on the cap with a screwdriver relatively gently.

so she's almost done (I work 8 days on the ocean, 6 days off timing is everything) ... went with a Dorman replacemnet exhaust, it's pretty sweet has flex points on the one and six tubes, and is SS. Used the gasket that came with it as it look better than my Felpro. Putting the manifolds back on was easy ... I mean sweetly simple ... the new exhaust/'00 intake allows so much room for bolt access it's stupid. I didn't have all the pain and suffering Like taking it apart was. The manifolds fit together with no issues at all (I remember someone posting about possible clearance issues). I did have to drill the #6 stud hole on the manifold out to 7/16". Using the '93 VC allows for use of the easy to remove twist out elbows as well. I feeling much more realxed now, just a few wires to hook up, a bracket for the coils to make and it's test fire time. Then it's off to the wreckers for a '93+ down pipe. Cut the stock pipe in the middle where it crosses behind the bellhousing.

Oh, and I also had to modify the stock engine mount shield, the manifold wouldn't mount up with it un touched. cut the rear corner perpedicular to the block and folded it in to the front, drilled and popped a screw in to hold it there and bingo she fit. that was the only interference I ran into. finding the exhaust flange now, that's another issue altogether ... seesm everyone dicontinued the 93-95 offering. Can anyone tell me what years should fit to the 93 manifold?

Back