• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle body woes

bgred2

NAXJA Forum User
The temp got up in the high 30's today, so I thought I would tinker with my Jeep a little. Checked the voltage's on my throttle position sensor and found that it needed some adjusting. Tried to loosen the top torx bolt holding the sensor on and it promptly broke off at the head. The bottom one came out fine, so I pulled the sensor off, got some vise grips on the broken bolt, and of course broke it off right at the throttle body. Hauled out the easy outs and drills and started drilling. Yup you guessed it, broke the freakin drill off about a quarter inch in. Put everything back together with one bolt holding the sensor on, adjusted the sob to spec., and I am getting ready to head for the bar (in the wife's Altima) . Does anyone have any suggestions for my best course of action now.............other than a designated driver?

1989 MJ 4.0, auto, 4wd

Save yourself all the trouble, just pick up another TB. Used ones are pretty cheap. Heres one on ebay,200181833123

Last edited:
Just in case you cant find it by the item number that dizzy gave here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=021&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200181833123

It may well be worth it if you dont have a u-pull-it in your area. Especially since it also has a TPS and IAC that comes with it. They may be good, and the throttle plate and body look fairly clean.

If you have a u-pull-it in your area, i would recommend you get one there. they are super cheap..i think i picked one up there for like 4 or 5 bucks last time. Clean it up yourself, and your ready to rock and roll!

Guess I will hit the junkyard Monday morning.

Can anyone tell me a way to quickly identify a RENIX jeep so I don't have to unbolt a bunch of throttle body's to find a correct one. I know the Renix ones have 3 bolts as opposed to 4 on the newer ones, but I don't want to tear several apart to find the right one.

Back