• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump trouble shoot

600dollarxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I went over a curb I probably shouldn't have and ended up racking my gas tank on the curb as I came off it.

Now my tank reads way over full (just got done filling it), and the fuel pump doesnt come on when I turn the car on (I can normally hear it prime).

Its an 88 4.0 by the way

Anyone have a good troubleshooting plan? My friend mentioned something about a reset switch for hard rear collisions that could be shutting the pump off.

Well, your not gonna want to hear this, but prolly smashed the top of the tank on the floor. Gage reading off, no pump working? drop the tank, see how bad it is. Fast fix, go get one from the junkyard. cheap fix apply air to tank to bulge it out to the stock size. Still prolly fubared the sender & pump though, so might m
be easier to get one from J/Y with the pump & sender intact. My $.02

ia green96 said:
Well, your not gonna want to hear this, but prolly smashed the top of the tank on the floor. Gage reading off, no pump working? drop the tank, see how bad it is. Fast fix, go get one from the junkyard. cheap fix apply air to tank to bulge it out to the stock size. Still prolly fubared the sender & pump though, so might m
be easier to get one from J/Y with the pump & sender intact. My $.02

Man I hope not. The impact looked pretty small on the bottom, near the back. The fuel pump definitely got shook up though.

600dollarxj said:
Man I hope not. The impact looked pretty small on the bottom, near the back. The fuel pump definitely got shook up though.

Drop the tank, inspect the damage, make sure you have 12 volts to the pump when you 1st key up for a few seconds. if you do,, start replacing the stuff you focked up,by the way.
It's a jeep so get used to fixxing sheet you fubar.

have you tried to hit the tank again with a mallet. it might shock the pump again and get it going. It worked on my old ranger that needed a new pump.

98XJeep said:
only fords have a kill switch for impacts........if you smashed your tank on a curb you need a lift!

Just a couple more inches!

ia green96 said:
Drop the tank, inspect the damage, make sure you have 12 volts to the pump when you 1st key up for a few seconds. if you do,, start replacing the stuff you focked up,by the way.
It's a jeep so get used to fixxing sheet you fubar.

If only I hadn't just tanked up! Its going to be a pretty big hassle now. And I know all about fixing stuff on my heep. Although this is the first time that I actually broke something that is keeping me from running.

Screech said:
have you tried to hit the tank again with a mallet. it might shock the pump again and get it going. It worked on my old ranger that needed a new pump.

We gave it a couple wacks, I'll probably give it a couple more. Still doesn't work though.

I hit the tank with a hammer, attempted to disconnect the wires from the pump and the connecter a foot from the pump. Neither would come apart, and neither helped it

pulled the 3rd black relay (from the left) under the hood, put it back in and the car fired up... dont know what that relay was doing, or if that is even what fixed it, but it runs now.

Back