• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 55???

has anyone heard of a dana 55? the guy that put my truck together said that he put a dana 55 in for the rear end and that it's a 3/4 ton.
and if u know what its out of plz tell me I would like to get some brakes for it.:compwork:

Dana's offerings for a rear axle were (feasible ones that is)
D35
D44
D60 (shortening required)
D61 (shortening required)
D70 (shortening required)
D80 (shortening required)

the D50 was a front axle TTB offering used in the front of early 3/4T (and some early 1T) and later as a straight axle in 1T F-series ... to my knowledge there was no rear axle application for the D50.
AFAIK there was never a D55 produced in any Truck/SUV ... perhaps an industrial aplication but I doubt it. I smell feces.

Maybe it's a Dana 35 mated up to a Dana 20 transfercase....

:dunce:

Devilfrog said:
Dana's offerings for a rear axle were (feasible ones that is)
D35
D44
D60 (shortening required)
D61 (shortening required)
D70 (shortening required)
D80 (shortening required)

the D50 was a front axle TTB offering used in the front of early 3/4T (and some early 1T) and later as a straight axle in 1T F-series ... to my knowledge there was no rear axle application for the D50.
AFAIK there was never a D55 produced in any Truck/SUV ... perhaps an industrial aplication but I doubt it. I smell feces.

SPOBI Ford offered a D50 in some years as a rear end option. Economy Tractor used them in their Jim Dandy and Power King utility tractors.

Are you sure he didn't mean Dana 53?

SPOBI Ford offered a D50 in some years as a rear end option. Economy Tractor used them in their Jim Dandy and Power King utility tractors.
so this thread is LONG dead... but it came up while I was searching for specs on the rearend in those tractors. Go figure, NAXJA has info on everything, not just jeeps.

It's not a dana 50, it's a dana 18 (not to be confused with the more commonly discussed dana 18 transfer case.) Comes in a 5.17 or 12.25 ratio (in diff only - the tractors use a second gear reduction box almost like a portal axle for even more reduction!) and rated for around 1800lbs.

With how common the dana 18 transfer case and T18 transmission are, finding info on it on google is nearly impossible.

It's covered on page 5 of this PDF: http://www.dana.com/wps/wcm/connect...ighwayCondensedSpecifications.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

has anyone heard of a dana 55? the guy that put my truck together said that he put a dana 55 in for the rear end and that it's a 3/4 ton.
and if u know what its out of plz tell me I would like to get some brakes for it.:compwork:

Dana 55? Not that I know of.

There was, however, a Dana 53 rear used in the J-series truck with single rear wheels in the (I believe, I'd have to check) late 1960's - but parts are so uncommon as to be rare. However, I do believe it was somewhat stronger than the D44 - not quite a D60, in fact.

The D53 was also used under the FC170 SRW (the FC170 DRW got the D70 full-float, as did the J-series 1-ton DRW.)

Yep. The D35 (IFS, I believe) was used under some earlier Explorers, and the D30 was used as a SRA rear in the Aerostar...

Back