• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Add 3 point seatbelt to rear?

salvagexj

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,

I tried the search, but didn't find what I was looking for. I would like to add 3 point seatbelts to the rear seat of my '87 cherokee. Any idea if this can be done? I use this jeep as an extra vehicle and sometimes I need to put my kids in the back seat. I'd be a lot more comfortable if it didn't just have lap belts.

Thanks

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

Check your VIN number on Jeep's recall website.

I may be mistaken but I thought there was a recall about adding the chest belt to older XJ's?

I might be wrong.

I don't know about a recall, but I have heard that there was once a retrofit kit available from Jeep for this. The cutouts for anchors are already present in the body, but the anchors themselves are not, so you can't just bolt the belts in. Unfortunately, the anchors in later models are welded in, so you also can't just go to the boneyard and pop them out.

I have a feeling you'll have a hard time finding the kit now, but it might be worth finding out.

I did it to my 87 XJ. I just got the parts from a parts jeep and swapped them over. I don't remember if I had to drill out any welds, but overall it wasn't very bad.

Rob

I think the kit used to be available from the dealer to only "authorized installers", however I think it has been discontinued.
You have to get an HO, or carseats with 5-point harnesses.

Check to see if the threaded holes are there for the 3 point system. They will be under the roofline trim in the middle of the cargo area. if you have those there you just need the belts

Back