• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Injector, rail issues

cygnus58

NAXJA Forum User
My '88 XJ 4.0 is developing what seems to be an injector (#1) seeping at the metal/plastic joint. While looking in the OEM parts PDF i found the rail is a different part number in '90 yet the injectors are the same. My rail has the "2710" designator sticker on it so it is a '90. (i was told the engine wasn't original and the block numbers have been ground off) I had some injectors from a spare '89 wagoneer but couldn't get it to seal no matter what. Just didn't seem to fit right. More spray than from a questionable seal. (this was weeks ago) I finally opted to try the bad one again, it sealed immediatley and didn't start to leak again until this first below 32 morning.
When warmed up it stops completely. I realize the eminent danger of this scenario.
Tomorrow I am going to try to find a few at a local yard.
Does anyone have any insight as to the difference in the rails, and injectors if any??
thanks in advance..
and I am packing a large extinguisher

do a search for "Ford injectors" they are a direct replacement and are one peice. They do not have the seam like the cherokee ones do. I cannot remember what year but I believe it was from a 5.0/4.6 ford. Hope that helps
Jay

the fuel rails were originally different part numbers, later the 2710 was superceded to the 87-88 number: 83503636. so whatever the difference is/was, it doesn't appear to be anything that really matters. a second vote for the orange/yellow top 4 hole ford 5.0 injectors, that's what i'm running in the '87.

Thanks Ten-High, and when I get a bit more cash around and the weather turns (no heated garage) I will get 6 orange/yellow mofos.

Back