• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bearing noise - transfer case? Front axle?

maalox

NAXJA Forum User
So I recently noticed a new noise coming from my '89 XJ. When I drive, I hear what sounds like a bearing going bad. The noise comes from the driver's side, and it sounds like it's coming up through the footwell or kick panel. Thinking it was a front wheel bearing, I purchased one that I have not yet installed.

Just the other day, we had our first snow of the year, so I put the truck in 4WD, and the noise got louder, leading me to believe it's the transfer case or front axle bearings that are bad. Another thing that I noticed is that the noise is louder when I'm on the gas, and quiets down a little when I let off of the gas. It does it in rolling in Neutral, too, so I don't think it's the trans.

Anyone had any experience with this? I remember my mother-in-law's ZJ having axle bearing problems in the rear, but I'm kinda new to the XJs, and I'm still learning all of their quirks. Thanks in advance, guys!

Or it could be play in the slip joint of the driveshaft.

Back