• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bent axel housing?? what happens ??

ranger125

NAXJA Forum User
well i made a truss for my ford full width 9 inch and i was just wondering how to tell if it was bent ?? i did take my time welding it and made 4 welds on opposing corners of the truss to make it stick reall good hopeing that it wouldent warp but it still conserns me . also was wondering what the effects are of a bent housing ?? the truss runs along the back of the housing not the top and made out of 2x4 steel

If you want to see if you warped the housing you have to strip the axle down the the housing and get a tube that is long enough to run from knuckle to knuckle inside the tubes. The tube inside should have an OD just slightly under the ID of your axle for ease of sliding in and out. If you cant get the tube through the diff its probably warped.

As for what warping does. I dont have first hand experiance with this but i would assume that the slight angle on the splines of the axle will cause premature failure at the carrier/locker.

Shops that do narrowing and or trussing on 9" Fords usually use a piece of solid round stock, machined to accept dummy bearings placed in the carrier and outer axle bearing pockets, to keep the housing straight while welding. 9" housings will easily pull out of straight if a truss is applied without proper set-up.

-Jeremy

okay well the truss definitly warped my axel housing buttttttttt lol i have another one totally stock , so i did the angle iron measure thing and it is still not exactly straight but its close <-stock one and its 3 ticks out on the measuring tape on one side and the other is 2 ticks i theink its an 8th increment but its on the inches side. is that acceptable ??
oh and i did put them on a lathe and the one with the truss was visually nfg but the stock one was just barely noticable on one end and up and down noticable on the other keep in mind i grabbed onto the outside of the tube not the inside but yeah it was a huge lathe so no worries about it comin off and i didnt spin it to fast anyeways . but yeah i just dont wanna install my 600 dollar detroit locker and have it effed because my housing wasent purfect . oh and will i end up bending it when i weld my perches on ??? tha nks for the input so far guys it has saved me from using my retard trussed 9 inch housing (somtime i wonder about myself lol )

Back