• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats that noise

impetus-93xj

NAXJA Forum User
well I seem to have a new noise that only happens when im in park idleing.
it sounds like a vibrating sort of, like the muffler or something but i've cheched everything and theres nothing loose.

you bang on the cat to see if its rattling?

got lift shackles? i had to relocate my tail pipe because it was vibrating on the new shackles...just a thought.

or, it could be that its a Jeep...dont they all rattle?

if you put it in reverse and hold the brake on....any noise?

could be engine or tranny mounts....

On my old xj, my exhaust pipe was rattling against the transmission crossmember. You couldn't see it moving, but as soon as I fixed the problem it went away.

you have to replace your deck with a good quality aftermarket cd/mp3 player. add in some nice speakers with good wiring and top it off with a nice amp/subwoofers, and the rattle will be gone.....................or you'll start getting even more. LOL

look at your exhaust the entire lenght of it. look for clean or worn spots, look for very tight spots that might come in contact if the exhaust moves a hair. rattles really aren't hard to find if you work front to back and pay attention, and not just the quick "one knee on the ground and a quick peek under the jeep" inspection.

On my old xj, my exhaust pipe was rattling against the transmission crossmember. You couldn't see it moving, but as soon as I fixed the problem it went away.

i have this crossmember problem while bogging motor and during shut down, how did u fix?

Check for this
mayby a bad vibration damper on the crankshaft. Outer ring where the belt is running has become loose from the rubber isolation on mine. The ring touched finally the timing chain cover.

Result: Sometimes a rattling noise in P and N of transmission

Check the doors? Things like window regulators are relatively heavy blocks hanging off the thin sheet metal and they amplify vibration, eventually causing the sheet metal to tear, producing a buzzing rattle at the right vibration frequency.

Back