• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are your thoughts on the Chrysler 8.25 rear end?

spike8152

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the Chrysler 8.25 rear end. I'm trying to decide if should build it up or swap for a Dana 44 in my 96 XJ Country Running 32's might be going up to 33's. It is a daily driver and I'm on a limited budget. My off road usage is moderate to difficult but no extremely difficulty. Any thing would help. Thanks!

Swapping an 8.25 for a Dana 44 would not be much of an upgrade IMO.

I say keep the 8.25 if you're just going to 33s. I run 33" Trxus MTs on my 8.25 4:56 with a LSD. Been offroad lots, has held up great even when I really beat on it. Only downside is you cant run any gearing higher than 4:56.

This is on my '96 Country.

what year? The 8.25 was available in two flavors.
27 spline and 29 spline.
Late 96 was the changeover year.
29 spline is comparable in strength to a d44.
27 spline is weaker.
gear options for the 8.25 don't go any deeper than 4.56.

Its a 1996 I'm not sure if its 27 or 29 spline. I can't go look under it right no since i'm out of country but if anyone knows or knows a way I can find out it would be greatly appericiated.

Well the dealership is about worthless all they can tell me is its a 8.25 so any other tips or hard info on what they out in that year would be great. Along with you thoughts on the axle it self 27 or 29. Thanks

The 8.25 is a decent axle. I'd keep it stock.

But driving habits will dictate how long any axle will last. Few people realize how much a stock axle can take with a smooth humble driver that uses finesse, goes slow, and knows when to quit.

I have the "infamous" dana 35c. But I have NOT broken it, and will try my best not to. In my opinion, the only reason its infamous is because people expect way too much out of it. It doesn't break because its a bad axle, it breaks because its design specifications were exceeded by the driver. You read that correctly, its the drivers fault the axle broke. And they usually break because the driver is using too much throttle and/or too big of tires.

The 8.25 is a better axle compared to the dana 35c, but that doesn't mean it will hold up under conditions that it was not meant for. It will fail just as spectacularly as a dana 35c if conditions for failure are present.

Some people will disagree with me that its the drivers fault. But consider this parallel situation.....if you roll your Jeep over, is that the Jeep's fault because it was NOT designed for hard cornering, or your fault for going too fast for road conditions??

Come on people, of course its your fault.

The bottom line is that you should be just fine with your current 8.25 if your easy on the gas pedal and keep tire sizes modest. If you don't, you will hear a loug bang from failed components in no time, and a dana 44, or better yet a dana 60 is in order.

Last edited:
a D44 is great for tires 35 and larger. It is only a marginal upgrade over a 29 spline 8.25.

Benefits of 8.25:
- axle shafts are the same length for both sides so you can carry only 1 spare that will work for both sides.
- if you already got one, its cheap to upgrade the axle shafts to 1430 hardened steel and voila its stronger

Disadvantages of 8.25:
- cannot gear higher than 4.56 because of ring gear size

there are many more to list but these are the obvious. I run a 29 spline 8.25 and have had no problems at all running 32's and have wheeled alot.

Ok so after checking a number of sources including stone dragons link, i belive I have the 8.25 27 Spline. That being said it looks like most would agree to keep it no mater the spline.

I agree with j99xj 100% on in the end you need to know you rigs limits and drive to with in them.

I think I can safely say I'm going to keep the 8.25 and build it up.

Now what everyones opinion on the best way to do that?

I was thinking POWERTRAX No-Slip aand maybe some new axle shafts. Any suggestions comment are great!

yer lucky day, I have a powertrax noslip for a 27 spline for sale. its used. PM me if interested

My suggestion is to get a new carrier(for 29 spline alxes), and some 29 spline axle shafts, if your doing a lunchbox. I haven't found a company that makes a true lunchbox locker for the 29 spline axle, just the 27 spline one. A Detroit or ARB would be your bet for a full locker in the 29 spline fashon.

Only real way to know for sure if it is a 27 or 29 spline one is count.

12GaugeXJ said:
My suggestion is to get a new carrier(for 29 spline alxes), and some 29 spline axle shafts, if your doing a lunchbox. I haven't found a company that makes a true lunchbox locker for the 29 spline axle, just the 27 spline one. A Detroit or ARB would be your bet for a full locker in the 29 spline fashon.

Only real way to know for sure if it is a 27 or 29 spline one is count.

Detroit EZ Locker IS available for the 29 spline. I'm running one.

I ran a 27 spline 8.25 on stock tires for years with no issues stepped up to 31's and snaped the drivers side shaft. went to a d-44 and have no regrets plus there are more options for lockers

i can say outta expierence that the 8.25 isn't the best axle, especially if you have the rubber fill plug. the one in my jeep now got about 2qts of water in it while washing it.......also, its got 160,000 on it and i've had to replace the pinion bearings where the plug leaks and the previous owner didn't understand the roaring. also, i've test drove a few jeeps recently lookin for my next xj, and have found 3 bad 8.25's in these jeeps....the 44 is stronger and more parts availability.....just my thoughts...no one jump my gun...

Back