• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing trunk floor with diamond plate. Whos done it?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled up my rear carpet the otehr day and the trunk floor was a wet soggy mess. I was thinking about replacing the rear floor with a sheet of diamond plate. What do you guys think? Has anyone else done it?

Plays For Jeeps said:
Pulled up my rear carpet the otehr day and the trunk floor was a wet soggy mess. I was thinking about replacing the rear floor with a sheet of diamond plate. What do you guys think? Has anyone else done it?

Err, I'd sooner trace down the leaks and fix them first.

um the floor is not a thin peice of sheet metal, its pretty thick and heavy. You cant just cut it out and replace it. If i were you i would cut the cancer out and the patch it up spray undercoating underneath and then put diamond plate over it to make it more visually appealing. I think it would look great just do it right.

You know, if your xj was a show car touring the circuit of mall parking lots and convention centers, then treadbrite would be a nice interior visual. On the other hand, hauling things in the rear would become a skating rink without great tiedowns everywhere and the noise would be incredibly amplified from the rear end. That is what the carpet and pad helped eleviate. Another idea ,as stated above, would be to cut out the cancerous rust and patch with galvanized flat pieces using rivets and a good appropriate adhesive. Then crawl underneath and undercoat everything in sight with your choice of coatings or several coats of a good epoxy paint. You gotta address water issues. Then for interior cover and soundproofing, cut to fit a rubber pad like those great truck bedliners you see around. Maybe it's not the bling bling your wanting but it would definitely cut down on the blang blang from beneath. You could always put some treadbrite on the quarter panels. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back