• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!!!! KEY IS NOT TURNING!!!!!!

Jeepin_for_life

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 XJ 2 door auto. I drove it at lunch with no issues and when i went back to it about 2 hours later the key will not turn. Ive tried turning the steering wheel and the key at the same time but that still doesn't work. The transmission is in park. Ive tried to move the transmission shifter into neutral or adjust it and move it but the shiffter will not budge. I can't even push in the button to move the shifter. THe ignition cylinder does just seems like it is locked up. Does anyone know of anyway to get my xj started?

Go to the auto parts store and get a whole new assembly. Get a puller also to pull the stearing wheel off. I've got an 89 with 250K and have had to replace the ignition switch 2 times. They just wear out. It should take less than an hour to repair.

The problem is probably the shift interlock cable. You have to remove the black insert around the shifter and then the whole black assembly around that. There are 2 cables attached to the shifter. The cable on the right (passenger side) is the shift interlock cable. Pop the cable off the ball on the shifter and give it a good tug. You should hear something pop....then turn your key. I think the only tool you should need is a philips head screwdriver.
Good Luck.

My Ignition switch is partially melted, and sometimes the bulge in the melted plastic prevents the metal rod from sliding down the ignition switch thus making it impossible to move the key forward.

Or it could just be an 88 2 door thing ha.

Every Now And Again I Have That Problem I Usually Hit The Key And Tumbler Towards The Column And That Frees It Up. My Blazer Did The Same Thing With Frozen Door Locks Hit The Key And Tumbler Inwards To Free it Up. Might Work Might Not.

Jeepin_for_life said:
I have an 88 XJ 2 door auto. I drove it at lunch with no issues and when i went back to it about 2 hours later the key will not turn. Ive tried turning the steering wheel and the key at the same time but that still doesn't work. The transmission is in park. Ive tried to move the transmission shifter into neutral or adjust it and move it but the shiffter will not budge. I can't even push in the button to move the shifter. THe ignition cylinder does just seems like it is locked up. Does anyone know of anyway to get my xj started?
Have you jacked the front end up to see if it is in a bind?

farmfreakjeep said:
Have you jacked the front end up to see if it is in a bind?

no but the jeep is in 2wd right now and the whole steering system has been replaced. I appreciate all of the helpful advice. The new ignition cylinder and switch come in tommorow and hopefully I'll replace it without freezing my but off in the cold.

Before you rip everything apart, try using your spare key, if you still have it.

Over the years, I've had to jiggle the key some to get the pins to release (tumbler to trun). Slap the shifter foreword to get the interlock to release. And really turn the steering wheel hard to try and get the pressure off of the steering wheel lock pin, while turning the ignition assembly (not the key itself) almost to the breaking point. The steering lock issue is often at or near full lock left or right. The key and/or tumbler (pin) issue is just wear. The interlock can be adjusted, by bending the mount near the shift mechanism.

I'd tackle the ign switch first before taking out the key lock. Both are a pain to do, but the switch is a little easier. On my '88 the contacts got hot, melted the plastic housing, and deformed the switch while in the off position. Same as yours, key wouldn't turn next day after it had been shut off the night before. I didn't find anything unusual that would overheat my switch, I think it's just over the course of time as the contacts wear, the connection weakens and the extra resistance builds up heat.

Go get a new tumbler/key from auto parts store for about $12.00. you can also rent the steering wheel puller there too. It's not very difficult or time consuming to just change it out. The same happened to my 90 xj.

scca28 said:
I'd tackle the ign switch first before taking out the key lock. Both are a pain to do, but the switch is a little easier. On my '88 the contacts got hot, melted the plastic housing, and deformed the switch while in the off position. Same as yours, key wouldn't turn next day after it had been shut off the night before. I didn't find anything unusual that would overheat my switch, I think it's just over the course of time as the contacts wear, the connection weakens and the extra resistance builds up heat.

I'll second the ignition switch--mine did the same thing. It would suck if this happened out in the middle of nowhere.

jiggle key, jiggle wheel, jiggle shifter, turn key

streetpirate said:
jiggle key, jiggle wheel, jiggle shifter, turn key

My XJ's over the years have got me trained, I slap the shifter forward, give the wheel a twist and always turn the key slightly to the rear before turning it to the front. Whether I need to or not. :roflmao: It always sounds like the first few bars of something from the Blue Man Group when I start up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdTeCnnRO4

Last edited:
Back