• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATF in xj power steering?

FoMoCo

NAXJA Forum User
just thought I'd ask teh gurus before doin it :patriot:

back in the day ATF was the only thing I ran in PS systems (heck, my 71 actually calls for type F) till I got a bronco that specifically said no ATF on the dipstick. so is there something in these new-fangled pumps/boxes that ATF will fubar?

reason I ask is my xj is in desperate need of a flush and ATF is way cheaper than PS fluid and has a high detergent value to boot so its a win win, unless of course the pump or box can't handle it.

also, is dex good or is there another ATF thats better for PS? I think I have dex III and type F on hand

I've read here that ATF is ok in the PS system.
Since the AW4 calls for DEX, and the t-case can take it too, would make one less fluid to carry if you ran it in the PS too.

I have found info on the subject while searching tho, give it a try, should have more info that I can give ya.

I'll be interested in hearing the answer to this one. Doesn't seem like the difference in cost on an annualized basis would be more than a few pennies.

And do you really need high detergency in the PS system -- just asking, I don't have a clue.

One less container to keep up with on the shelf would be nice.

back when my 89 was stock i was making my way up a mucky river bed/hill (before you give me hell for driving in a river i was helping a township maintenence truck that slide into the river bed while checking out one of their meters). it was a cool 70F day, engine temps were normal, electric fan constantly on, very light throttle, little to no wheel spin, 4low. i was trying every wheel angle i could think of to get out of the slippery stuff without wheelspinning myself to my axles. about 15 mintues into the ordeal powersteering fluid was pouring out from my cap's vent. i refilled with dextron3. busted out the comealong. got back home

since then i battled long and hard with overflowing fluid. i topped off with dextron3, then i ran out, merc4 and 5, even universal atf was used.

a buddy once told me most atfs react differently to heat and pressure when compared to P/S fluids.

i flushed my system at work with about 10 quarts of P/S fluid. to this day i have not had a problem other than the eventually leaky pump.

take my little experience as you like, im just sharing. just excuse my spelling :banghead:

thanks guys, I think I'll go for it this weekend
as for the extra detergent, I think it'll be good in my case as teh fluid is severely burnt...last oilchange I did I noticed it was slightly burnt and made a mental note to flush the PS system but never got around to it (stupid, I know), this week it was making a little noise while cold so I checked it again and its sh!t brown and smells about as bad :shiver:

I hope the pump isnt too far gone, it only makes noise when its cold, goes away as soon as she warms up, so I'm hoping it'll come back to life with some serious flushing :repair:

Good info, rag.

Is it safe for the power steering filter? Maybe the hi detergent is for keeping the filter longer?

1985xjlaredo said:
Is it safe for the power steering filter? Maybe the hi detergent is for keeping the filter longer?

There's no filter, unless you've added one. Besides, adding a filter won't harm anything, and you shouldn't have trouble either way (with/without filter, ATF/PS fluid.) And, the filter is there to catch solids that may be dispersed in the fluid (bits of seal or metal particles,) which detergent doesn't really do anything for...

Back