• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken fuel rail quick disconnect

urban_offroader

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed a leak a while ago from the quick disco fitting on the rear of the fuel rail of my '90 4.0. I replaced the o-rings in the connection (twice), but the leak persisted. On closer inspection, I found that the leak is coming from a seam in the short metal segment connecting the female half of the quick disco to the crimp onto the rubber line.

My plan to fix this is to cut the quick disco fitting off of the rubber line. I'll then get a short length of 1/4'' fuel line, slip that onto the fuel rail nipple (hopefully over the ridge meant to retain the quick disco, if I can force it that far), put a hose clamp on that, and use a 1/4'' to 3/8'' barb splicer to connect this to the OEM rubber line.

A few questions:

Is this a terrible idea?

Is the OD of the fuel rail nipple 1/4''?

Is the ID of the rubber OEM fuel line 3/8''?

Last edited:
i've got my fuel lines held together like this.
there are two major flaws with this approach. the worst of which , the barb may eventually cut through the hose lining, and cause a blockage or burst.

the weight of the brass barb adapter weighs the hose down and it wiggles more with engine vibes. not good.

but, its a good fix for the short term

Don't use regular hose clamps as they tend to bite into the rubber. Use fuel line clamps, available at any reputable parts house
FI_14.jpg

Make sure to get high pressue rubber fuel line, it'll hold up better with less chance to burst.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to go ahead and do this, and then keep an eye on it.

Can anyone confirm the relevant line diameters? That is, the OD of the fuel rail nipple and the ID of the rubber part of the supply line? I don't want to disable my only form of transportation only to find I have the wrong parts.

Thanks.

Great Idea! I do the same thing. I cut the plastic hoses with the Quick connectors and slip over a high pressure fuel line (8mm) with fuelline clamps.
On the pressureline and the returnline the same solution. I have seen pictures of 2 clamps on each side. Mayby advisible to do on the pressureline.
Firerisk when leaking!!. The line in the front is the returnline with low pressure. Hopefully some pictures in future. greetings:wave1:

Hallo. On my '92 jeep. The return line is 6mm(1/4") and the deliveryline is 8mm(5/16") on the railq.connector. :wave:
But the hoses I used are 5/16" and 3/8" ID. (for the little rim)

sorry it is a 3D pic use a mirror.

Last edited:
Sorry i should have specified that im inquiring about the RENIX era Jeeps (87-90).

More specifically im looking to purchase one of these:

800-082.jpg

Basically cutting off the old metal fitting and installing this in its place. Thats why i need the Rail, and line measurements. Maybe 3/8" for both sides??

Last edited:
If you are doing that why not just clamp the rubber fuel line onto the metal hardline?

You will still be using 1 clamp either way.

Because then when it comes time to disconnect and reconnect, i have to worry about a hose clamp and degraded fuel line. Id rather have a quick disconnect.. but of course its all down to personal preference.

Your post still however did not answer the question. Does anyone happen to have these measurements?

[URL="http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=3026" said:
wim hoppenbrouwers[/URL]]
Hallo. On my '92 jeep. The return line is 6mm(1/4") and the deliveryline is 8mm(5/16") on the railq.connector. :wave:
But the hoses I used are 5/16" and 3/8" ID. (for the little rim)

What do you mean degraded fuel line? And how many times are you disconnecting the fuel supply from the rail?

If you use the proper fuel line clamp you shouldn't have to worry about hurting the rubber line.

And no I do not have your measurement.

What do you mean degraded fuel line? And how many times are you disconnecting the fuel supply from the rail?

If you use the proper fuel line clamp you shouldn't have to worry about hurting the rubber line.

And no I do not have your measurement.

Well even if the line wont degrade, i would prefer to keep it as OEM as possible. I like the quick disconnects.. so im going to keep them.

kujito, thanks .. but those measurements are for a OBD1 Jeep... i was asking about a RENIX (assuming they are different though).
Are you saying they are the same?

Back