• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Intake Questions

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I have just replaced the exhaust system from the cat back and it sounds better and I think I feel a differance. Now if it pushes more air out it should also be pulling more in (right). I put on a K&N filter in the stock box and made some holes in the stock box to let more air in. Question is would there be any benefit to replacing the stock air tube with a smoother tube and if so what the hell should i use I have tried everything and cant find anything to fit in the small space . Then the next qustion would be a cone filter is there a noticable differance with that would make it easier to run the 3 in tube but is it going to take in to much hot air . Sorry about the rambling but this has been killing me for the last couple of days I'am bored.

What year XJ/MJ do you have? K&N makes great smoooth air intakes for about any year as long as it's a H.O. motor. Some of the TJ ones that pull air from the passenger side (cooler air) can be adapted if you are ingenious enough to cut and splice them.

I have a 97 cherokee and I was looking to go cheap did not want to drop 200 + on an intake system. Thougt I could rig up some kind of tube from the TB to the box.

You can't hook up a smooth tube to the stock airbox. the airbox is bolted to the body and the flexible tube is there to allow some play when the engine is twisting. If you want a smooth tube get a kit that comes with a cone filter.

I just went from a drop in K&N filter to the Edge trailjammer kit and its not a big difference. I did pick up .5 mpg and a small amout of power, but for the money i dont know if i would do it again. I did the whole kit with the module and throttle body so I dont think you would see a noticeable difference just with the filter by itself.

Back