• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case Crossmember Repair HElP!!

Tyquan

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to make this as short as possible. My transfer case crossmember bolt snaped off in the frame and two of the other threads in the frame are stripped. I have begun to cut a 1"x1" square on one side so i can just just drill out the stripped threads and put a bolt and a nut through it. Will this type of repair work? I do have a 4.5" lift so i have to use a spacer to drop the transfer case. I can only think to use a bunch of flat washers to use. Any suggestions on what to use besides washers? If anyone has had to fix there crossmember your input on my dillema would be helpful. I would like to fix this problem today because i got a new transfer case cause the old one is all messed up and i've been driving around for four months with three ratchet straps holding it on. Thanks in advance!!!

Whatever you do, don't try to use a bolt extractor. I have one headless bolt in my crossmember that has the top of the bolt extrator and also a broken cobalt drill bit lodged in it. I'll be grinding it out with a diamond-embedded dremel bit eventually, which worked great, but slowly and went through several tips doing so, on the same scenario with a shock bolt that snapped off and I foolishly again tried to use a bolt extractor on. Can't you just tap the drilled out bolt hole and also the stripped holes for the next larger size bolt? Seems better than losing integrity in those thin little frame rails.

--wp11

Well I did the nut and bolt thing and it worked just fine. Now all I have to do is weld the square pieces of metal that I removed and it'll be just like new. Another smart thing would be to spot weld the nut inside the frame so I can remove the crossmember in the future if I need to. Also I would like to thank the guys above for helping me out with their knowledge, THANKS!!!

framenotch1.jpg

Mines been cut that way about 3 years now. Rubicon, Johnson Valley, many other trails - never had a problem. I would not hesitate to cut it again.

The standard fix for stripped out nutserts for the crossmember has been to tap them to 7/16 and use 7/16 bolts or studs. That usually is a permanant fix.

Goatman said:
The standard fix for stripped out nutserts for the crossmember has been to tap them to 7/16 and use 7/16 bolts or studs. That usually is a permanant fix.

*nod*

3 of my 4 crossmember bolts are 7/16 now. I need to do that 4th one, it trips me up every time I have the crossmember off. The skid bolt had the frame cut because it broke off inside and I couldnt remove it. :)

Back