• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Love for NP242

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
How come there is hardly any aftermarket support as far as SYE kits for the NP242? It seems that the only route is Hack and Tap your own or give Mr. Woods a call and hand over your first born.

they didnt make nearly as many 242 as 231, and the 242 is unfairly or disproportionally labeled as weaker. It is .... ever so slightly. It has its advantages and if i recall correctly its rated to withstand only about 15% less lb/ft less than the 231, where as the 242 heavy duty in the durango is rated a couple hundred lbs feet greater than the 231.

I dig em.

I am with ya.

no respect i tell ya, no respect at all

Album_no_respect.jpg

edit: 231 is good for 1885 lb/ft, 231 hd= 1940 lb./ft

242 is good for 1486 lb/ft 242 hd = 2028 lb./ft and the H1 hummer 242=2340 lb/ft

chart for the above numbers http://www.newventuregear.com/tcases.html

Many 231 parts are the same part number as 242 so that indicates that there is some interchangeability. Just look at the part numbers first and see if it will interchange. My 242 has a 231 chain in it and some other parts too, but I fail to remember which now, three years post-rebuild.,

FYI tom woods IS a Hack-N-Tap..Just done by him rather than you.

You could get it machined locally for a lot cheaper.

And tom woods warrantys are not what they used to be. Used to be lifetime on shafts...Not any more as far as I can see.

Bouncy said:
FYI tom woods IS a Hack-N-Tap..Just done by him rather than you.

You could get it machined locally for a lot cheaper.

And tom woods warrantys are not what they used to be. Used to be lifetime on shafts...Not any more as far as I can see.
bingo! A glorified hack and tap
I love my 242 I wouldn't trade it for a 231 + $1000

Full time is tits in the snow, AWD drifts :p

Bouncy said:
And here I went back to a 231 that was converted to SYE already. And can't sell my fresh rebuilt 242 with 100 miles on it to anyone.
Why cant you sell your 242??

Bouncy said:
And here I went back to a 231 that was converted to SYE already. And can't sell my fresh rebuilt 242 with 100 miles on it to anyone.
Have you advertised it on NAXJA? Can you post a link here?

The Wrangler crowd don't usually have any experience of a 242 which probably explains why only a small number of people can properly appreciate it, even the engineers at Jeep have forgotten how good it is. I have a 231 in my JK Sahara and I really miss not having a 242. It's probably the only thing I dislike about my JK.

I'm planning on doing a swap from the 231J to the 242HD from a Durango or Dakota(yes they were available in the pick-up). I had a Klune V and an Alas II and missed my 242. I might try the box of rocks with a 242HD. A 203/242HD would be the ideal combo gearing wise thou.

I will be running this combo in my Comanche. I won't run a 231 or any other part-time case. My 242 stays in full time I never use 2wd.

242 FTW.

Guess the OP was a bit wrong, everybody loves the 242.

I don't have an SYE yet (or a tcase drop for that matter:shhh: ). Once I go bigger than 3" I'll probably overhaul the case since it has 155k on it, and bring it to a local machine shop to get hacked n tapped.

Back