• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25"????

rcmf5525

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My 99 Classic's rear axle housing looks a lot bigger than my '92s d35, but it does not look like the diff cover an 8.25. I know they did not put d44 in my year model XJ. Does anyone have a pic of an 8.25 in a late model XJ???

Sweet, I have an 8.25 and did not know it....:rof:

now the question is, how do I find out what gears are in the 8.25? The xj should have the tow package right? does that mean 4.10s? What else came with the tow package? Its a '99 Classic...

My '01 has the factoery tow package. I don't have the build sheet here with me so I may be mixing the Up Country stuff with the tow package stuff, but here goes.

Hitch and wiring obviously, aux trans oil cooler, HD radiator. I think that's it for the tow package. No gearing changes.

Doug

I am wanting to put the 8.25 in my 92, but if it has 3.73s I cant until I re gear. What ever, I will just wait until I get the 4.56s for the 92 and do the swap then. Thanks for the help. I feel like an idiot. I bought this XJ about a month and a half ago and only now did I notice the different sizes in the two rear ends. I have been mostly caught up with interrior and under the hood to pay attention. DUMB...

rcmf5525 said:
now the question is, how do I find out what gears are in the 8.25? ...

Change the diff fluid (it needs it right?). The ratio is stamped on the ring gear, or you can count the teeth. Divide the larger number by the smaller and you get the ratio. A rough estimate is to count the number of times the yoke turns when you rotate the tire one full turn.

I think every diff needs its fluid changed....LOL

Divide the number of ring gear teath by the number of pinion teeth. Thanks...

I'l run your VIN if you want. Hit me with your....or who ever's last 8 of the VIN...I work at a DCX store

Back