• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timber Tamers Xmas tree run 07

KarlVP

NAXJA Forum User
Full report and pictures (hopefully soon) are up on The site. www.timbertamers.org

Anywho, here we go.

Some of the group. Most notably we had a guy with a brand new JK wrangler. Dealer tags still on it.
dsc00137ho0.jpg

Folks were mingling a bit too long, so Chad took the lead, and Tom and I followed. We got out ahead of everyone in search of untracked snow.
dsc00142hb9.jpg

We ran into Boonie Buster and some of the folks we know from the NWW board. They were helping a group get a Honda CRV turned around. I took this opportunity to get in the lead. You can see my extreme elation here.
dsc00156xb4.jpg

Shortly after that, we ran into fresh snow, no tracks. I started plugging along.
dsc00158yi4.jpg

After a while, my jeep started to run warm, so I let Chad take the lead.
dsc00160ng6.jpg

We were making some progress on this little assent, but Chad's rig started running warm too. He didn't want to beat on it too hard (it was a rental), so he let Tom by to break trail for us.
dsc00162lf4.jpg

Here's Chad watching Tom come around us in "the little jeep that would"
dsc00165qf1.jpg

Here you can see how bad I was plowing with my front end.
dsc00166dn8.jpg

My Wife, and co pilot. Dressed as a "snow ninja".
dsc00168iu9.jpg

If you look real close in this picture, you can see the other Tamers stacked up ready to attack the hillclimb we just paved for them.
dsc00174qz5.jpg

We wheeled to the end of the road, where it was washed out and then turned around. On the way back Tom blew a bead. A quick shot from my compressor, and we were on our way. Here's us trying to make a frozen hi lift work.
dsc00178zw4.jpg

After that, we finally made it back to the main group, who instead of trying the hill climb, just built a fire and found themselfs some christmas trees.
dsc00181vo0.jpg

We got everone turned around and headed back down. I thought these pics were kinda neat. You can see the snow build up in my wheel wells. At one point the wheel wells were compltetly full of snow, with only the tire showing. I couldn't get a pic of them full, but here the are half full.
dsc00190xe3.jpg

dsc00191gr5.jpg

On the way down, it started snowing HARD and we ran into this poor guy in a Chevy Duramax with his family. They were STUCK. Chad, Dirtball, and I used our winches to get them turned around and Chad towed him back down the hill.

dsc00193mb4.jpg

Here's Dirtball finding a good spot to anchor his rig so he could winch on the Chevy.
dsc00195by2.jpg

This is one of my favorites from the run. I'm parked at the bottom of the hill waiting for Chad so I can unhook the Chevy from him. It was snowing HARD.
dsc00198vg2.jpg

This one is kinda cool too. The group coming at me.
dsc00200ke3.jpg

And finally Chad's christmas tree by the time we got back to the parking lot. This tree had no snow on it when we got it.
dsc00209qh6.jpg

alexer03 said:
how deep was the powder out there?

The crust on top was a good 2 feet. Total snow probably about 3 feet at the higher elevations. 4 in the drift areas.

It has yet to really make a base up there.

But as we were leaving it was snowing like a mofo. And it's probably still snowing up there after this rain down here. Expect to see around the 6 to 8 foot mark if you decide to head up there. When it gets that deep it's better to let it freeze overnight and be first to hit it in the morning, as you can just plow along with your bumper and front end, as long as you can keep from overheating.

Back