• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rim backspacing suggestions

RyanM

NAXJA Forum User
It's gonna be 35x12.50 BF mudterrains or MT/R's.

lift will be 6-7" .. 2inOD Long Arms on a Rusty Xmember.

Warn kit, dana 30.

What would suit better?. a 15x8 with 3.75 bs, or a 16x8 with a 4.5. I read crager makes the 4" bs in 15" flavor . but AR BAJAS are preferred.

Would the Warn's extra WB allow the 4.5" bs at full lock with the 35 12.50?

thanks. pics are sweet.

id go at least 4" there are 4.75" wheels out there in 15". with a 15" tire you have a little more flexibility than with a 16" if its a 35 od then thats how big the outside of the tire is irregardless of the wheel size(15,16). so on that note the 15 should give you a better ride on and off road as more sidewall absorbs the shock that doesnt need to reach your suspension...

the backspace is the space between where the wheel bolts to the hub to the inside bead flange of the wheel. i run 3.75 to widen the stance of the jeep and gain clearance from things in the wheel well.it also means the bolt face is in between both the inside and outside beads of the tire, rather than factory being flush with the outside bead and overlapping youre brake caliper. if u want to know what backspace you have now take the wheel off lay it face down on the floor so your looking at the inside area of the wheel if you lay a straight edge across the wheel and use a ruler to measure from the back of the bolt pattern to the height of the straight edge.. that will give you an idea of how much clearance u have behind your tires and how much space youll need for wider tires... make any sense???

Tough question if running 35's. I agree that I think 4" is ideal, though for 31's to 33's 4.5" BS is generally considered ideal. The deal is that by the time you're running 35's you already have to do substantial trimming to get them to stuff, so once you're trimming that much you can just trim a bit more and not worry about BS for best clearance. If you don't mind trimming, get the 3.75", which overall with 35's I think you'd be happiest with. By the time you run the trails that you can run with 35's, it's nice to get the tires out a bit more to help in keeping the rocks away from the body.

Backspacing is the distance from the inner bead of the rim to the wheel mounting surface. If the wheel mounting surface was even with the inside bead of the rim, then you'd have 0" backspacing. Stock Jeep backspacing is 5.25", so if a rim has 3.75" BS then the rim will be positioned outward 1.5" more than a stock rim.

Can anyone confirm the backspace on the Rubicon wheels?

norcalchris said:
um...im a noob so dont get mad, but i too am looking for new wheels, and i am confused as to what backspacing is

Simply put, if you take a rim and put it on the ground upside-down and put a ruler across it, then measure from the mounting flange up to the bottom edge of the ruler, you have your backspace (minus the outer flaring of the rim)

6.5 inches of left 35x12.50's on 3.75 backspacing

SD531271.jpg

It must be fun watching the mud pop up over the hood! :D

Starboard M said:
2.5'' of backspacing. Have run them on both 32s and 35s, and love them.
P1010742.jpg

yeah, except anything less than 4" BS on an 8" wheel is going to cause a little excess stress on the hubs and all of the other shit in there...

for that big of a tire, i would say 4" or 3.75" BS

Pharaoh XJ said:
What kind of headlights setup do you have ?

btw looks great .

there cheap ebay lights, they suck so i wouldnt recomend them at all i don't do much night driving so they dont bother me much but if you do i wouldnt waste the 20 bucks.

TunaSoda said:
It must be fun watching the mud pop up over the hood! :D
Its actually quite annoying. Thankfully I dont do mud, or at least try not to. Kept on having to wax the Jeep afterwards...:doh:

I like the added stability. I had it farther sideways then this, and no worries about flopping.
339572607_l.jpg

I run 315/75/16 MT/R's on 16x8 AR wheels with 4.5" backspacing. I just BARELY rub the LCA at full lock, and at that, only on one side. If I adjusted my stops a hair it wouldnt be a problem. The rear clear great, and I can stuff the wheels like a mofo (I did trim a lot, though).

DSC00883.JPG

DSC00889.JPG

photo109.jpg

Back