• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trouble, need help with diagnosis

delp1213

NAXJA Forum User
alright so here it is. two things with the 98 xj are wrong, well two that are really important.

1st.
coming out of left hand yesterday the check engine light came on and a strange noise was coming from the engine compartment, sounded like the noise a remote control car makes, a higher pitched "wwwhhheeee" noise. I turned off my heat and it changed the sound a bit. When i accelerate/decelerate the noise changes coinciding with my rpm's, and when I idled you could hear a faint gargling or churning of fluid type noise. popped the hood, sounded like it was coming from the air conditioning compressor area.

2nd.
turning in my parking grage the other day I had the wheel all the way locked to the right and something i the front popped and the car popped to the side a bit. It felt like it came from the front left, and I was not in 4x4, but that has happened in the past in 4x4. Now when I let the clutch out in 1st or 2nd there is a clunk sound from the front left, and it feels like its coming from a lca.

I cannot figure out how to run obdii codes, I have tried the key it three times technique, but my odomoter just stays as it is, I dont see anything, and the check engine light doesnt blink. What am I doing wrong??

1st...try to get an automotive stethescope and probe under the hood until you find where the noise is coming from
2nd...tighten the track bar

1st-Couldn't say
2nd-U joints?

your first problem is tough. it could be the compressor going out or even the water pump, they're both belt driven so... for our second check your motor mounts. Ive had them go out and they make a similar clunking as you describe. depending on the year the key trick doesnt work, odbII wasnt required until cars manufactured in and after 1994

Noise, engine compartment, check engine light, noise changes with fan speed, alternator.
Fan draws more or less power, have it checked at a AZ or AA, they do it for free.

Back