• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting Issue

joeylead

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 4.0 HO XJ. I have been having a weird intermittent starting issue. If the engine is shut right after being started or fails to start on the first crank overs, it will not start at all. When it first happened Immediately after starting it, i shut it off. It then would not start. I assumed it was flooded, so i let it sit all day. Still nothing. Basically I had to pump the gas pedal while turing the ignition, then is started. Now it happens occasionally. There isnt a rhyme or reason, seasonal wether or even how long between shut off and start up. Sometimes i can stop to get a coffee and nothing will happen sometimes i will have to flutter the gas pedal to get it to start. When it does start, i definitely smell gas (very rich fiel mixture) today, this AM I got coffee and then the truck would start, but not stay running. Let off the gas and it would stall. I just kept it running at abour 1500 rpm for a few minutes and it was fine. When the jeep is running, it runs great! Now the fuel gauge is also broken. Could it be the sender/pump? I thought that perhaps it gets flooded and wont start so giving it gas opens up the throttle body allowing more air in, but i am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Back