• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drive shaft breaking system

Gerr said:
I think your asking for a pinon brake type of setup right? Ive seen a number of write ups on them on here and on pirate
thanx.

are you planning on putting it on a trail only rig or a DD? Also are you looking at it being just a parking brake or to replace the regular brakes?

You would be better off with a good set of linelocks that won't bleed down.

I have one in my XJ. What sort of info are you looking for?

Also it will work even with the rear DL disconnected if you are in 4wd, and is better then line locks IMO, just not as easy to setup or as cheap.

[FONT=&quot]Cheap line locks bleed down over time, and if they are electric they cannot be left on indefinitely.

I plan on putting line locks on for cutting brakes but it is still nice to have a mechanical parking brake.[/FONT]

I've had a linelock on my rail buggy for about 2 years now and it never leaks down. It stays just fine over 2 or 3 weeks at the time. Just don't cheap out and you won't get a cheap product! You get what you pay for! Call Jegs!

i saw a disk style driveshaft parking brake and was contemplating it so imma keep an eye on this thread

http://www.highangledriveline.com/

241e-brake.jpg

noob question time: why do this?

dgrigorenko said:

A couple of reasons occur to me - 1) by binding up your driveline in 4WD, you effectively lock all the wheels (a park brake only locks the rear wheels, and a line lock? Depends on where you put it.) 2) It uses different hardware, and is a totally separate system from brakes. So, if you lose something significant in the brakes, you've still got the park brake.

Those are first impressions and a guess - so if anyone can tell me better, I'd love to hear it! However, I get the feeling I'm not too far off...

Disadvantage to Line Locks/Microlocks - holding brake pressure in the rubber hoses (which can be significant!) can cause failure of the softlines and/or cylinder seals, which can cause all sorts of other problems. So, they're not suggested for on-road vehicles, or anything operated at a relatively high road speed (say, over 25-30mph.) I've seen them on forklifts - but I can usually run (on foot!) right past a forklift at full tilt - and they're not used as park brakes overnight anyhow (you "deck the forks" to get the thing to hold still, usually.)

dgrigorenko said:

Then you don't need e-brakes at the rear axle. They just get packed full of mud and dirt. Then you can just do a simple disc swap on the axle.

Having the disc there means the the rearend gearing will multiply the power it has by whatever gear you have.

awesome... that all makes sense...

I'm running a 14bolt with chevy calipers in the back, no parking brake. The calipers with the integrated parking brakes like the Elderado calipers had several bad reviews. I wanted a parking brake and I was going to flange yokes on the 205 so it was just a matter of making the brackets.

Back