• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crossover steering mods

4x4_Welder

NAXJA Forum User
I want to set up my wife's XJ with crossover steering to get rid of this stupid y-link system, but the only systems I have found off the shelf need the knuckles and pitman arm bored out, plus I keep reading about issues with tie rod twist.
Before I drag out the TIG and DOM, is there a system that fits a near-stock height XJ without the need to ream anything, and without the tie rod twist problems?

The tie rod twist would be an effect of "inverted T" and not Crossover.

If you are just looking for a stronger tie rod, get a tie rod from a V8 ZJ. It is the exact same setup as an XJ but a heavier duty tie rod - the draglink remains the same.

The only "bolt on system" is the Currie, which is still an inverted Y, but uses CrMo tie rod ends you can only buy from currie.

You're best bet is either to do a WJ conversion or run the inverted T 1-ton style steering (look at JCR and others). Granted both are some work to install, if you don't want to go through the work consider staying stock.

Maybe I'm not using right term here- I don't want to go with a hi-steer setup, I want a solid tie rod between the axles and the drag link to go to that.
I have dealt with the Y system many times in the past, the only thing it's good for is scrap weight IMO, no matter who makes it- your toe changes based on ride height, horrible bump steer issues, wandering, etc, etc.
I just want to put a decent steering setup on a Jeep for my wife, most this will see until I really get my hands on it is fire roads and trail heads.

4x4_Welder said:
Maybe I'm not using right term here- I don't want to go with a hi-steer setup, I want a solid tie rod between the axles and the drag link to go to that.
I have dealt with the Y system many times in the past, the only thing it's good for is scrap weight IMO, no matter who makes it- your toe changes based on ride height, horrible bump steer issues, wandering, etc, etc.
I just want to put a decent steering setup on a Jeep for my wife, most this will see until I really get my hands on it is fire roads and trail heads.

The inverted T wont change toe at all but is prone to the tie rod roll you spoke of. The only thing is to add WJ knuckles and make a standard tie rod and drag link. Tada!

Back