• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Body mounted CB antenna

JEFF

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking to mount a Firestik CB antenna to the side of my XJ somewhere near the back. I'v seen some that look like they are mounted to a bracket bolted behind the tail lamps and others mounted on some kind of bracket and bolted to the body. Is there a antenna and bracket that anyone recommends, im sure the antenna needs to be long enough to clear the roof line. What is everyone using?

P1010698.jpg

P1010741.jpg

Ive hit it on a couple things, including a rock which poped that entire body panel in, but it hasnt ripped off. Yet.

Last edited:
Pat said:
Just put it on the rear bumper...anything on the side is going to get damaged or cause damage.

Kinda what im thinking, but iv seen some pretty sweet mounts on the side, I just don't want to buy anything before I ask around first.

This is how my friend had his mounted, and so he mounted mine this way as well.
Jay_8-20-07.jpg

I had mine on my side, used one of the "L" mounts that can mount onto a trucker's side mirrors, and just bent it to go with the body curves. I thought it was a terrible place because I ended up hitting ton's of trees cause I wheel in tight places, ripped a lot of the plastic covering off, and also ripped the cable right out of the base of the mount.
CopyofMP21_STUCK.jpg

I since remounted it to the rear, and haven't had any troubles what so ever. I have some of the best receiving in my group. I used the same mount as well.
DSCN1063.jpg

And actually my last offroad trip, I would have ripped the antenna right off if it had still been there, as I became wedged up against a tree on that side and tapped my rear tailgate.

Last edited:
Looks good xjtrailrider!!! Thats kinda what I had in mind, and being on the drivers side you can keep an eye on it if it gets close to anything

JEFF said:
Looks good xjtrailrider!!! Thats kinda what I had in mind, and being on the drivers side you can keep an eye on it if it gets close to anything

Thanks, all you need is a pattern for the body mount, some 3/16" steel, a little cutting grinding bending and drilling. weld it all up and coat it with some of that tool handle dip stuff. Just make sure that you scrape off some of the coating where the bolt mount to the body and where the antenna grounds to the mount so it will be well grounded.

xjtrailrider said:
Thanks, all you need is a pattern for the body mount, some 3/16" steel, a little cutting grinding bending and drilling. weld it all up and coat it with some of that tool handle dip stuff. Just make sure that you scrape off some of the coating where the bolt mount to the body and where the antenna grounds to the mount so it will be well grounded.

TOOL HANDLE DIP STUFF!!!!!!! Great idea!!!!!

why not just put it on the roof with a magnetic mount? Or even an engine mount where it comes out by the front fender? I dont understand how you people with a side mount can keep from ripping it off (and damaging your body) when running any type of hard/tight trail...the rear quarter area is such a vulnerable spot to impact...

edit: just noticed that begster moved his mount to the back hatch...pretty good spot as well...

"edit: just noticed that begster moved his mount to the back hatch...pretty good spot as well..."

As long as your hatch is metal. Once mounted, be sure to tune it.

northwestxj said:
why not just put it on the roof with a magnetic mount? Or even an engine mount where it comes out by the front fender? I dont understand how you people with a side mount can keep from ripping it off (and damaging your body) when running any type of hard/tight trail...the rear quarter area is such a vulnerable spot to impact...

edit: just noticed that begster moved his mount to the back hatch...pretty good spot as well...

Im currently running a mag mount on the roof with about a 3' whip, it works good on the street and in open trails but whaaaps into every thing on a tight trail or pulling into my garage.

The rear hatch is a good spot, but my hatch is Glass id have to run a good ground wire.

Im just looking for some other ideas. all that I have seen have been pretty good so far.

Eliminator89 said:
As long as your hatch is metal. Once mounted, be sure to tune it.
Yep, it only works well if you have a 97+ with the metal hatch. Its always a good idea to tune the CB after you install it anyways.

But, I have yet to tune mine, and have the best receiving/transmitting in my club.

Wilson gumdrop mount with a 2ft. "Firestick wannabe" from the truck stop.............and it clears the roofline.:D

100_2482.jpg

I have mine mount on the side using a mirror mount. I have been on a lot of tight trails and it has survived every single one. Of course all of my trail damage is on the driver's side.

2339858640101033819S600x600Q85.jpg

Mine is mounted on the back, FTW.

Kinda hard to see here....
IMG_0007.jpg

Easy to see here.....but yeah. And the answer is no!!
DSC01325.jpg

Also works great for when your sandals REEK!!
CampUJ2007044.jpg

Its partly just the angle of the picture, but it did have a slight leaning issue too. Fixed it with some good old zipties to hold the leaves in line.

Back