• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheap aftermarket intake ideas?

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
Well i see on ebay the kn and other ones that go for 199$ but i want a cheap alternative. Like buy a neon intake and it bolts right up. Does anyone know what other vehicles intakes fit on 89xj inline6?

Sure- buy yourself some 3" exhaust pipe, some hose clamps and a cheapie "performance" K&N knock off filter and bolt it all up. Probably run you $40 or so.

their is no point of putting a 'cold air intake' on an xj. your just going to get warm air from the engine bay, if anything open up your stock airbox, and open up behind your left headlight so air can be pushed in more directly

well previous owner did the route the intake through firewall mod i bolted sheet metal on fire wall and blocked it off. So all i have is the small piece coming off the intake.

well previous owner did the route the intake through firewall mod i bolted sheet metal on fire wall and blocked it off. So all i have is the small piece coming off the intake.

I know if u get a open air element filter u will get hot air from engine bay. But if u realize that no matter where u mount it the engine heat will still heat up the air that the engine intakes so it doesnt matter. What cost u a horse or 2 big deal. I have a sebring stock box ill try that and c what happens. Unless somebody has anymore ideas.

For my TJ and XJ I bought the K&N filter for the application and just bought PVC pipe and fittings for the tube, for both jeeps cost me 15 dollars in PVC

Doug

I agree with joshv98XJ. just hook the vaccum lines (that went to the airbox) together after the install. i did it to mine and it came out really clean. :)

I've done a lot of research on this. There seems to be a lot of misguided well intent when it comes to 4.0 litre intake. The #1 important thing to remember about the 4.o L is that the tbody is the choke point. The stock set up is a cold air intake. It is capable of providing more air than the engine can suck through the standard throttle body. The air box also draws air up through the filter with the opening at the bottom of the box. This is not happenstance. It was designed like this to help with water. I haven't put it to the test but I have red that this was so that when water reached that level, unless you were heavy on the stupid pedal, the water would choke out the engine rather than hidro it.

I would suggest that unless you really want some kinda custom thing, a snorkel or you are looking to create the forced air effect, find an oem intake at a junk yard and spend the extra money on something else.

CJ's98XJ said:
I've done a lot of research on this. There seems to be a lot of misguided well intent when it comes to 4.0 litre intake. The #1 important thing to remember about the 4.o L is that the tbody is the choke point. The stock set up is a cold air intake. It is capable of providing more air than the engine can suck through the standard throttle body. The air box also draws air up through the filter with the opening at the bottom of the box. This is not happenstance. It was designed like this to help with water. I haven't put it to the test but I have red that this was so that when water reached that level, unless you were heavy on the stupid pedal, the water would choke out the engine rather than hidro it.

I would suggest that unless you really want some kinda custom thing, a snorkel or you are looking to create the forced air effect, find an oem intake at a junk yard and spend the extra money on something else.

In '95 they stopped drawing air threw the radiator support and came out with a T.S.B. to block of that openning because it draws in water too easy.

The T.S.B. is done to increase the waterfording ability and help eliminate hydolocking the engine. If you drop in to water that is up to the headlights with it breathing threw the radiator core you would most likely hydrolock your engine. Blocking off that opening and using air from under the hood gives you the chance to back out... This is what the T.S.B. does.

projectTK said:

Why did you block that off? That's pretty much the coldest air you can get for the intake, not to mention the higher intake point for water crossings. How was the intake ran; from the cowl -> stock airbox -> TB or just a filter in the cowl -> TB?

If you want to go to an underhood setup, Rusty's airtube and a cone filter (preferably NOT K&N) is the cheapest way.

previous owners hack half the dash off on the passenger side to route the air intake threw the fire wall. So i just put a new full dash in and replaced the holes with sheet metal. SO what is teh best way to have an under the hood intake that keeps the water out but still flow good?

Ok, you meant actually through the firewall, I thought you meant through the firewall into the cowl.

Best way honestly if you are worried about water is the stock airbox with a higher flowing filter. The cone setups are great, but are very susceptable to sucking in water if you get a good splash through the grille.

TellicoReadyXJ said:
Ok, you meant actually through the firewall, I thought you meant through the firewall into the cowl.

Best way honestly if you are worried about water is the stock airbox with a higher flowing filter. The cone setups are great, but are very susceptable to sucking in water if you get a good splash through the grille.

This is only true if you block the hole in the radiator core support and cut the tube off even with the edge of the box. If it breaths through the core support it will suck water way sooner then a cone will. I also cut holes in the fender side of the factory air box which also helps keep it from sucking water because of the multiple holes allowing air in. Leaving on the rubber splash guard under the engine and using a front skid will also help keep the water out. It will also help protect the alternator.

I made one myself and spent 38 bucks. If you make a splash guard and make a box around the intake to block some of the heat, then its actually pretty useful, also ive head of putting some panty hose over the filter, and will help keep mud.dirt and stuff out better, with it abl to still "breathe"

I bouught a piece of 3" exhaust pipe with a swell on one end for 3" to fit inside it. It was then a perfect fit in the stock rubber tube. I used sheet aluminum to form a box in the drivers side front of the engine bay. I cut a semicircle out of the box so the exhaust pip could set into it. I then welded two nipples into the pipe for the breather tubes and clamped on a cone filter. I really only did this because my heep was missing the stock airbox when I bought it due to a rollover.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/7

I have sinse used a metal bucket with the side cut out so that when layed down it's open up top. Cut a hole or a U in the bottom of the bucket and put the intake tube on it or through it. Trim or shape the open end around the front header panel to block off under hood air as much as possible.

You can install a smal house vent or vent off of a donor car on the hood tword the front ahead of the filter to draw in colder outside air. You can build a small baffle to keep water from directly hitting teh filter, but allow air to get around and drawn in.

Personally, I just went back to stock air box and panel filter replacement.

I went this route with my homemade intake but i scraped the breather line to the intake and just put a small differential breather on instead... does anyone think this would cause a problem? I got the idea from a local that has used this on his XJ for awhile with no issues.

balloo93 said:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/7

I have sinse used a metal bucket with the side cut out so that when layed down it's open up top. Cut a hole or a U in the bottom of the bucket and put the intake tube on it or through it. Trim or shape the open end around the front header panel to block off under hood air as much as possible.

You can install a smal house vent or vent off of a donor car on the hood tword the front ahead of the filter to draw in colder outside air. You can build a small baffle to keep water from directly hitting teh filter, but allow air to get around and drawn in.

Personally, I just went back to stock air box and panel filter replacement.

got ant pics of your new setup, sounds interesting!

Back