• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange clunk on pass. side

mrtosh

NAXJA Forum User
I get this strange clunk on the passenger front side of my '94 XJ sport when I either: A: hit a bump B: stomp on the brakes C: am in 4 low or high and put a load on the front(like trying to climb a rock). I've gone through just about everything and to no avail can not figure it out. I put new axle u-joints in about a year ago, and there's no play in them now. It's almost like something is shifting. Bad control arm building? Bushing? Somebody please help... It does have a 2" lift as well..

TIA guys...

I would bet that the bushings in your sway bar links are shot then. Very common problem. If those are good I would check the shock bushings and bar pins.

I have had that problem intermittantly ever since I've had my XJ. It's been the lower control arm bolts coming loose. The problem is that the steel inserts in the rubber bushings crush and make the arm come loose. The fix for me was to put a much beefier steel insert inside the bushings to take the torque load of tightening the lower control arm bolt. Hope this helps.

jeeperjohn said:
I have had that problem intermittantly ever since I've had my XJ. It's been the lower control arm bolts coming loose. The problem is that the steel inserts in the rubber bushings crush and make the arm come loose. The fix for me was to put a much beefier steel insert inside the bushings to take the torque load of tightening the lower control arm bolt. Hope this helps.
That's what I was thinking of doing. I might just go ahead and get a new OEM lower control arm and try it out....

I know it is crazy but check your exaust pipe as well. I know after almost every wheeling trip, i touch my flow master on something, and then in the same times you are talking about, the muffler or the pipe right at the tc crossmember will thump the bottom of the floor and make it sound like something very wrong is going on till i pull it out again.

You might also want to check your trac bar mount bracket. Yes, it is on the driver's side, but clunks and bangs can sound like they are coming from anywhere except where they reallt are. The bracket that holds your links to the sway bar doesn't stick out much further than the factory setup, but on mine it was just enough. This link bracket can hit the track bar mount bracket when the suspension is compressed and/or under a load and makes a pretty good clunk and because it is bolted right to the "frame" it sounds like it is coming from all kinds of places.

CJ's98XJ said:
You might also want to check your trac bar mount bracket. Yes, it is on the driver's side, but clunks and bangs can sound like they are coming from anywhere except where they reallt are. The bracket that holds your links to the sway bar doesn't stick out much further than the factory setup, but on mine it was just enough. This link bracket can hit the track bar mount bracket when the suspension is compressed and/or under a load and makes a pretty good clunk and because it is bolted right to the "frame" it sounds like it is coming from all kinds of places.

Hmm, might have to check that.

Back