• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Inner Axle Seal

waskie

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my axle seals last night, wondering what the purpose of the gray plastic/poly rings are? Mine was cut and I RTV'd it back together.

To keep larger pieces of off-road & road debris out of the housing. USA Alloy makes a real seal to go there to keep even dust and water out, for about $80 a set. They even come in red, black or aluminum colors and are greasable too.

waskie said:
I replaced my axle seals last night, wondering what the purpose of the gray plastic/poly rings are? Mine was cut and I RTV'd it back together.

Not that one, it's the one inside the pumpkin...looks more like a o-ring/seal.

Thanks for the reply though.

waskie said:
Not that one, it's the one inside the pumpkin...looks more like a o-ring/seal.

Thanks for the reply though.

I think you are talking about the ring inside the differential case right where the tubes come in.
If so, I think it is excess sealant from when they pressed the tubes in the case.

Found this photo on the web...it's orange in this pic.

seal-7.jpg

waskie said:
Found this photo on the web...it's orange in this pic.

That is the one I'm talking about. If it was an O ring seal it would be the same all around. To me it looks like sealant pushed out during installation of the tubes.
I had to trim mine in a couple of places to ease differential installation.

So I should have removed it? Looked like it blocked the passage directly below the axle vent.

Back