• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power in 5th gear :(

Oliver93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I need a little help guys, I have a 1993 XJ with a I6 4.0 manual and everytime I get into 5th gear I do not have any power. I will start to loose speed. Also when ever I apply the gas to much in any gear my check engine light comes on and the Jeep is just slow to respond in general. I have a few ideas but wanted some experienced opinions.

Thanks

Oliver93XJ said:
Hey I need a little help guys, I have a 1993 XJ with a I6 4.0 manual and everytime I get into 5th gear I do not have any power. I will start to loose speed. Also when ever I apply the gas to much in any gear my check engine light comes on and the Jeep is just slow to respond in general. I have a few ideas but wanted some experienced opinions.

Thanks
what sized tires and which gears? Also what does your tach show when you switch to fifth gear?

31" with stock gears. Dana 35c in the back with the 30 up front. It never had this problem until a few weeks ago.

2000 rpms or so.

Need to determine why "check engine" light comes on. Try down loading any stored trouble codes. When the light comes on, a code is generally set. Even though the light went out, the code should still be there; best place to start trouble shooting.

damn I was not awake in the am! You're right. The check engine light is the key. It indicates something is wrong and once you get the code you'll know what the problem is.

does it miss or just loose power. if it's missing i'd say low fuel pressure.
i suppose it still could be that and it may be running lean?

5 speed, 31" tires and 3:07 gears, gee, I run LT235 AT/KO's and don't even use 5th gear till I get over 70, usually 75. At 70 it's sitting around 2200rpm, at 70 in 4th its around 2600rpm which is about best for mileage at least for me. Ditto on the code read though, I would for sure take to AZ and have them plug in the reader or buy one for yourself, there's one you can install in your dash and get full readouts of the running engine as it's going.

xjbubba said:
Need to determine why "check engine" light comes on. Try down loading any stored trouble codes. When the light comes on, a code is generally set. Even though the light went out, the code should still be there; best place to start trouble shooting.

I don't have a reader, what kind should I get?

AutoZone, advanced, and most places like so will do it for free. Unless you just feel froggy and want a reader.

i owned a 4.0L, 5speed with 3.07's on 31's, and didn't even use 5th gear for almost 3years. got new 4.56 gears along with 33's, and it moves very nicely and accelerates even in 5th gear.

so i would tip on that. but regardless, let us know what you find on that code.

I barely use 5th and I'm on 4.10's.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I barely use 5th and I'm on 4.10's.
You barely use 5th with 4.10's and 31" tires? What RPM's are you at in 5th?

I have 235/75/r15's with an 89 manual (dunno what my gears are) but when I'm in fifth at 90 KM/H (56 mph) my RPM's are 1550, and it will still accelerate up steep inclines.

My dad's new 2007 (classic) GMC 1500 with the 4.3 vortec won't accelerate at ALL in 5th on a hill, and when cruising at 90 KM/H he's at 1800ish RPM's. It's weird.

There's definitely mixed feelings on this. Some people say 4.10s and 32" are great, whereas others say they suck. It'd almost be worth making a study on what year jeep they have, what gears they have, what size tires they have, what transmission they have, and how their vehicle behaves. I think it could be interesting.

Back