• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap bastard thread

Stumpalump

NAXJA Forum User
Know any good cheap bastard tricks like ones Ive used in the past like:
*Trash picking good mufflers and tail pipes from behind muffler shops.
*Using a meter to find discarded batterys that still read 12Vplus from behind gas stations.
*Finding a neibor the changes his oil every 3000 miles so I can fill my oil burner with usable oil.
*Coat hanger used for welding rods and for a lot of other stuff
* Never grinding a rotor or break drum when changing pads. I still do that.
* Super glue on deep cuts instead of stiches.
*Commet clenser and a scotch bright pad to buff out faded paint jobs.
* turning tie rod ends 90 degrees to get some slop out.

What do you have thats reasonably leagal and cheap?

I don't think I have ever oxy fuel welded with welding rod. Coat hangers all the way baby. At my old job we had a uniform service that didn't care if they got their hangers back. I still have three closets full.

Peanut butter (creamy) to fix scratched cd's..

Globbed on silicone to hold wiring in place under dash, on rib going across roof to new dome light. Swiping every fuse, hose clamp and circuit breaker that I could find in the wrecking yards ( I have 5-6 5gallon buckets full of stuff).

Taking heat vents out of you spare rooms to use as hood vents on your rig.Its always a good idea to paint them a different color, to keep from explaning this cheap ass trick to your wife.

Staked coil spring isolators as spacers, each one provides about 5/8 inch lift. You can buy about 40 of them for the price of an ACOS setup.:greensmok

Love2Ride450 said:
I don't think I have ever oxy fuel welded with welding rod. Coat hangers all the way baby. At my old job we had a uniform service that didn't care if they got their hangers back. I still have three closets full.

and people wonder why their welds fail when they try to oxy fuel weld with a coat hanger instead of a proper welding rod. yes, it may work but the quality of the metal is not there in a coat hanger. remind me not to be near when any of your oxy fuel welded items are in use.

Superglue on deep cuts.....I was a river guide in the Grand Canyon for 10 years and we did that all the time, if too deep we would sew each other up but always use superglue to seal it from infection.....I still do it.

Grab up all the old junk batterys you can get. I get $5.00 to $7.00 each at the recycler. My recycler is also a salvage yard and I usually spend the money I get on parts.

stewie said:
and people wonder why their welds fail when they try to oxy fuel weld with a coat hanger instead of a proper welding rod. yes, it may work but the quality of the metal is not there in a coat hanger. remind me not to be near when any of your oxy fuel welded items are in use.

I use coat hangers for exhaust work. They work great for extending the life of a trashed/rusted system. It also works geat to fix exhaust leaks on new parts when the clamp won't get it to seal. A quick bead all the way around and all the leaks are fixed.

could someone elaborate on the comet nad scotch brite for paint? my paint is pretty bad and id like to clean it up a lil bit

Right. Comet and a scotch brite pad will really clean up a very old faded paint job and take off a lot of dirt also. Old cars that look like rust is comming thru the paint everware can really be cleaned up well because it scrubs all the rust stain off. This is for really old paint. Bon Ami cleanser is also good stuff to keep around for automotive glass. It is way less abrasive than regulal cleanser. Just use a lot of either and a bucket of warm water and you can really clean up an old nasty rig.

Back