• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30

lookin to get a better axle with out spending an arm-n-leg for. think of a d44 but then i have to go up to carolina rock shop to see what theyed charge to set it up for me

Rubicons come with a D44. Its a low pinion and has the same outer shafts as the D30 so its not much of an upgrade unless you want really low gearing. (4.88s or lower). Its pretty much a bolt in.

The only real advantage of the D44 is larger/stronger R&P. The D30 with the larger shafts measures up very well against it otherwise. You didn't say if you were going high or low pinion, high pinion D44s are a little tougher to find. Use a stout diff cover if you go D30, pumpkin flex is one of it's drawbacks.

Go to the FAQ section, there's a comprehensive comparison between the two that spells it all out.

fubar XJ said:
The only real advantage of the D44 is larger/stronger R&P. The D30 with the larger shafts measures up very well against it otherwise. You didn't say if you were going high or low pinion, high pinion D44s are a little tougher to find. Use a stout diff cover if you go D30, pumpkin flex is one of it's drawbacks.

Go to the FAQ section, there's a comprehensive comparison between the two that spells it all out.
and true high steer, lockout hubs, bigger ring gear, stronger housing and tubes.

unless you are jumping your rig the 30 is fine for the weekend warrior - it has a lot of aftermarket support - i am running 35's and do a mix of trail and rocks and have not had problems yet - 760x u joints, alloy usa outers, stock inners, 4.56 gear, detroit locker, rugged ridge steering, jks lower arm skids, superlift diff ring, and soon a tnt weld on truss - granted the 30 is weaker than the 44, it still has a lot of good life for 33 inch tires and HD trail use

A properly built D30 will hold up to the abuse that 99% of people can dish out. As previously mentioned, alloy axles, reinforce the control arm mounts and some plateing and small truss and you will likely never break it.

Back